Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just happened tonight. Lately my idle has been jumping up and down but now my car only stays running if I keep my foot on the gas.

And Im noticing a huge lack of power.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No way to tell what's going on from your description. Vacuum leaks, plugs/wires, sensors, bad wire, etc. Could be anything. I think if it was one of your sensors you can have auto parts store read your codes and see what it says.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Huge lack of power means it isnt the IAC. I am guessing a vac leak that hasnt set a CEL yet, but it will soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happened tonight. Lately my idle has been jumping up and down but now my car only stays running if I keep my foot on the gas.

And Im noticing a huge lack of power.
xxunknownxx,

Ha! I had the exact same problem with my '96 Taurus and it turned out that my EGR valve was dirty. This will sometimes cause the car to stall unless you put your foot on the throttle. Before considering replacement, try cleaning the EGR valve by doing the following:

Refer to the following diagram if you need a point of reference.

1) Park the car in a safe place. Open the hood and wait for the engine to cool down, if necessary.

2) Locate the EGR valve on the right side, toward the rear of the engine. The valve looks like a large, flat, metal mushroom.

3) Disconnect the vacuum line from the top of the EGR valve with your hand. Make sure the vacuum line is not hardened or torn and is free of obstructions. If it is damaged, replace the vacuum line.

4) Unscrew the threaded fitting between the EGR pipe and the valve. You can use a regular wrench or an adjustable wrench. Make sure the wrench fits squarely on the threaded fitting to avoid rounding the nut.

5) Remove the two mounting bolts from the EGR valve using a wrench or ratchet and socket. Set the bolts in a safe place.

6) Detach the EGR valve from its mounting base and pipe. Discard the gasket located underneath the valve and clean the mating surfaces of the base of the valve and its mounting base. Use a plastic scraper to avoid damage to the mating surfaces.

7) Turn the valve over and clean the carbon deposits from the bottom and pintle with a dull scraper and wire brush. Be careful not to score or damage the base. Lightly tap the valve on a hard surface to remove the carbon deposits. Clean any debris lodged between the diaphragm and the case. If you use a solvent to clean the valve from carbon deposits, make sure the solvent does not reach the diaphragm; otherwise, it may be damaged and a new EGR valve will be necessary.

8) Install a new EGR valve gasket and set the valve in place by hand. Install the mounting bolts by hand.

9) Thread the pipe fitting by hand and make sure it turns freely to avoid damage to the threads; then tighten the mounting bolts with a wrench or ratchet and the pipe nut with a wrench or adjustable wrench.

10) Connect the vacuum line to the top of the EGR valve.

If your car still experiences the same issues after you have cleaned the EGR valve then you either have a vacuum leak originating from the line that connects to the top of the valve or the EGR valve has to be replaced.

Hope this helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts