Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Have a 99 Taurus duratec with 94k miles. Was driving down the road at around 55mph when the engine suddenly lost power. Stepping on the gas produced no power. While stepping on the gas the engine was popping and sounded like almost backfiring. Coasted to the side of the road and the engine was idling, but roughly. After a few minutes put it in drive and it drove fine for about 5 miles and then the same thing happened again. Made it home.
Suspected a fuel pressure problem so I pulled the tank and replaced the pump and strainer. Also changed the filter. Cleaned and blew out the tank. Also replaced the fuel pressure regulator.
Put everything back together and still the same problem.
I noticed it will start and run fine until it warms up to about midway on the temp guage, then the problem will start.
There are no codes.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
405 Posts
This may sound stupid, but my guage won't go above half way and I was experiencing slightly similar problems.... I chased the problem for quite some time and was suspecting the cam synchro - it wasn't that... but while I was in there I changed the thermostat because I figured it was due.

Turned out the old thermostat wasn't opening sufficiently ( didn't see it because the guage is crap too) and with the new thermostat my problems cleared up.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
The OP has a Tec.... no cam syncro that is a known failure point on the Vulcan. Tec CMP very rarely fails.

It seems Fords a long time to set a missfire code. What is your scan tool capable of? Can you read pending codes? Can you look at mode 6 data to watch missfires accumulate?

My first guess would be a plug wire or coil pack problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts