Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have a 2002 taurus se dohc with 156k miles. This all started about a month ago when my check engine came on. I didnt think it was serious but it soon got progressively worse. Driving at highway speeds now is annoying. It stutters pretty good and cant seem to maintain consistent rpms through acceleration. I changed the fuel filter, added some fuel injector cleaner and bought some lucas anti slip over the past 2 weeks. The anti slip is the only product that seemed to 'slow down' these problems. But lo and behold 2 days later, symptoms reappearing and getting worse. I think i may have a bad tranny....i may take it to aamco and have them diagnose but i fear getting cheated and having to end up coming out of pocket for something that may not be as serious as buying a new tranny.

·
Registered
75 Posts
See if you can get someone to read the error codes that set the check engine light off. Sounds like it could be an oxygen sensor or two that went bad or maybe your idle speed control valve. Could even be an EGR problem if your engine has an EGR system on it. If you havent replaced the oxygen sensors after 156K.....I would do it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
There are hundreds, if not thousands of things that will turn on the CEL. Throwing parts at the car hoping to fix it without even knowing what code is hiding it the computer is an expensive waste of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok took it and had it diagnosed by local ase certified mechanic shop..here's what i got. While driving to the shop on highway, the transaxle light started to blink. I also smelled a light burnt smell of some sort coming through vent.This car is really starting to piss me off. Anyway, got to the shop and they gave me the following information..

(before going to mechanic i took it to aamco and and they said that theyd have to use a smoke machine to diagnose what was wrong but said it would cost 1000 just to take it out which would be applied to the cost of repair:pgtfoh)

po741 torque converter clutch system stuck off
p1131 ho2511 lean
p1151 lean bank 1
po174 lean bank 2

also explained that i have a busted transmission pan and my fluid is low. He recommended replacing the the pan and adding a filter kit. Also said i have a pcv hose and grommer*/vac leak. The upper intake gasket has a leak, coolant bottle leak...total is 457.00 + tax.- 50 bux if i get repairs done at same shop

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Sounds like you ran it into the ground. Transmissions need fluid at the top of the cross hatch on the dipstick every day. Neglecting that pisses the car off. I have a 96 Sable with a cracked transmission case that is not repairable, but after 20,000 miles of keeping fluids at the recommended levels has it still defying the odds of certain death. When I bought the car I changed the tranny filter and the magnet had a pound of filings on it. I put a filter on it and drive with my foot gentle on the pedal. My cost for what I have done are less than $100 in parts and it still keeps going. The car had never been serviced and had all original filters and plugs, wires, etc. You just have to make the effort to keep them on the road, the car owes you nothing. It is a machine that needs maintenance to perform for you. When the parts are done they will not heal themselves!! Good luck, I got mine for $800 and that has been less than $85 a month for what I have gotten out of it. When it dies I can walk away smiling that I have no payments and some good parts to sell. Hope you can save this one from the crusher for awhile too!!
be well, downhill

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you ran it into the ground. Transmissions need fluid at the top of the cross hatch on the dipstick every day. Neglecting that pisses the car off. I have a 96 Sable with a cracked transmission case that is not repairable, but after 20,000 miles of keeping fluids at the recommended levels has it still defying the odds of certain death. When I bought the car I changed the tranny filter and the magnet had a pound of filings on it. I put a filter on it and drive with my foot gentle on the pedal. My cost for what I have done are less than $100 in parts and it still keeps going. The car had never been serviced and had all original filters and plugs, wires, etc. You just have to make the effort to keep them on the road, the car owes you nothing. It is a machine that needs maintenance to perform for you. When the parts are done they will not heal themselves!! Good luck, I got mine for $800 and that has been less than $85 a month for what I have gotten out of it. When it dies I can walk away smiling that I have no payments and some good parts to sell. Hope you can save this one from the crusher for awhile too!!
be well, downhill
my tranny fluid IS the the crosshatch area....it says not to add if in that area. I checked it pretty often but only thing is i never really changed it. I bought the car with 97k on it so im not sure what all was done to it beforehand but i do know that it was a fleet auto so hopefully they kept maintenance up pretty good

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
A lot of fleet vehicles get abused by the drivers. If you have not had a transmission service on it the fluid looses it's viscosity over time and does not perform as designed. If you are in the right fluid level then I think esahlin has a point in checking for vacuum leaks. Everything ties together in the actual performance because it is all fed through the computer on board. The better the maintance the easier it is is to narrow down. You could get the engine running better but still have issues with the tranny. I lost a tranny when I borrowed a fleet car from a friend to go to Spokane. Got some flashing lights and had foaming fluid in the tranny. Made it to Spokane a couple hours after the lights went wild. When I gassed up to go home I started the car and shifted into D. Nothing, tried all gears and no luck. Broke a pump shaft internally in the tranny and $3000 later I was home. I hope you have better luck than I did. Do what you can, if you have the error code for the Torque Converter you should be gentle on acceleration. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.