Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the situation. I have a 99 Taurus, DOHC. For a little while now the car has been having a hard time starting. It started out small in the fact that it would always start on the second crank. I could never get it to start with one crank, and priming the engine seemed to have no effect. Recently it has been taking a lot more cranks to get it going at least 3, and sometimes it could take 5 or 6. When it would be running, it ran great at first. Lately however, it seems almost anytime I come to a stop or even just slow down it becomes really hard to get the car going up to speed again. I can press the gas pedal to the floor and it just won't accelerate almost like it is starving for gas. After 10 or so seconds of this it will run fine until I slow down or stop again. I have a CEL up and when I read the codes it threw a P0136, P0171, and a P0174. I cleared them out and they came back. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. I was thinking maybe a failing fuel pump, but I would think that if that was the problem then priming the engine should have some effect with how it starts up. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Devin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I will definitely check out that hose assembly tomorrow and see what is up with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That link appears to be for Gen 4 Models, I have a gen 3 model. Anyway I checked out the part that the article mentioned on mine. It's a similar part but looks a bit different. Anyway the one on my car seemed alright. I even doused the whole thing with carb cleaner and it seemed to make no difference in how the engine was sounding. I also ended up cleaning the MAF sensor with some CRC MAF Cleaner. The engine seemed to run a bit smoother after that, but the same problems still exist, IE the hard starting and the lurching when coming to a stop. I replaced the PCV within the past couple of years, and it appears to still be working alright.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Another possibility is a leaking manifold gasket...I believe I've read that the LIM gasket has been the problem that threw those codes for some people here...its not as common as the PCV issue and these codes..but its another place to look...

check out this thread...in the last post of it, someone shared their experience with this issue...

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...98&hl=p0174

·
Registered
453 Posts
Looks like it could be what the above post mentions or a vacuum leak somewhere else. Check all hoses for cracks/leaks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, if it was an UIM/LIM gasket issue wouldn't the problems I have be pretty consistent? Like, it seems like it would constantly give me the lurching issue EVERYTIME I stop. As it is now, it will sometimes lurch a bit when accelerating, but after driving for about 40 minutes it gets a bit worse i.e. when I come to a stop or slowdown when I go to accelerate again I can press the pedal to the floor and get no acceleration for a little bit, and the next time I stop it could be just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, quick update. I'm not 100% sure what the problem is, but I've narrowed it down to either the LIM/UIM gasket leak or a head gasket leak. The car produces quite a bit of white smoke at startup, and I noticed a lot leaking out somewhere under and behind the EGR valve... The car was sitting for a few days and I noticed that the coolant got pretty low after being filled up full like a week and a half ago. Coolant is obviously being burned up so it sounds more than likely like a gasket problem.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Intake gaskets are gone probably, do a compressions check to confirm that the head gaskets are ok, then replace the intake gaskets quick before you hydrolock the engine or run coolant through the oil and wipe the bearings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update. I just installed a new UIM and LIM gasket and now the car won't start and I'm getting a P1260 check engine light code. A bit frusterating as I spent a number of hours installing those gaskets. Anyone know why I'm getting the theft code?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quick update. I just installed a new UIM and LIM gasket and now the car won't start and I'm getting a P1260 check engine light code. A bit frusterating as I spent a number of hours installing those gaskets. Anyone know why I'm getting the theft code?
[/b]
Double check all the wiring, pull the battery cables and find a way ie visegrip twist tie, to connect the disconnected cables together for 10 minutes. This should discharge all your modules. Reconnect and see if she starts. If not try the other ignition key, but pats system should not be acting up unless you inadvertently knocked a connector loose

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No dice. It still threw the code and will not start. I put a new battery in it today and it was sitting out in my driveway. When I got the new battery in it I drove it into the garage to begin working on the gaskets. I relieved the fuel pressure, disconnected the negative terminal and removed the UIM. From there I disconnected the fuel lines leading to the fuel injector assembley and disconnected the wiring harness for the fuel injectors. Then I removed the LIM and cleaned the mating surfaces. I replaced the gasket and reassembled the LIM. I cleaned the mating surfaces for the UIM, replaced the gasket and reassembled. Replaced the IAC gasket and the TB gasket and the EGR gasket as these all had to be removed to take off the manifold. When everything was reassembled I pushed the button on the fuel pressure reliever and connected the negative cable back to the battery. Right out of the box the car wouldn't start. It sounds like the starter is spinning like crazy, but nothing engine wise moves whatsoever.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went outside today and double checked EVERYTHING. Turns out a fuel line for the injectors hadn't fully clicked into place which I am sure affected the pressure and was the reason it wouldn't start. I reconnected the fuel line and made sure it clicked into place, and after priming the engine a few times the car started right up. So far there are no problems, but I'll toss a followup post in here tomorrow and let you know if the UIM/LIM gasket replacement solved my other problems (mixture too lean codes and the car not accelerating from some stops). The new battery seemed to have solved the engine taking multiple cranks to start problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went outside today and double checked EVERYTHING. Turns out a fuel line for the injectors hadn't fully clicked into place which I am sure affected the pressure and was the reason it wouldn't start. I reconnected the fuel line and made sure it clicked into place, and after priming the engine a few times the car started right up. So far there are no problems, but I'll toss a followup post in here tomorrow and let you know if the UIM/LIM gasket replacement solved my other problems (mixture too lean codes and the car not accelerating from some stops). The new battery seemed to have solved the engine taking multiple cranks to start problem.
[/b]
Before installing the LIM, did you check to make sure the PCV line (rubber parts of it) coming off the oil separator is ok? I found that it was leaking like crazy on a '99 Sable 24v I worked on and had caused lean codes and some starting issues. Also, check the U shaped PCV hose (PCV pushes into it), this was also collapsed & leaking at the bend in it some time before I did the LIM gaskets...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts