Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Ford Taurus

I just replaced the battery. When running, everything about the car functions perfectly.

The problem:

I see no power until I turn the key to ON.

I have no power locks when the vehicle is off and my key fob doesn't work.

Interior lights do not function.

When the key is turned back to ACC, nothing changes, still no power.

Once the key is turned to ON, everything lights up and functions fine, and the Clock resets every time I turn the car off.

Any ideas as to the problem here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tracked it down. I was indeed a fuse.

It was the one labeled in the manual:
"Autolamp, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL), Flash-to-pass, Headlamp switch"

I checked a few fuses before, but naturally had to pull every one in order to find it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Fuses

I tracked it down. I was indeed a fuse.

It was the one labeled in the manual:
"Autolamp, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL), Flash-to-pass, Headlamp switch"

I checked a few fuses before, but naturally had to pull every one in order to find it.

Thanks.
Fuses blow for a reason. Something is wrong.

As for checking:
If you have a VOM with pointed probes, you can put the points across the fues test points with a ~20DC setting on the VOM and should be NO reading, meaning the fuse is OK or not in use. If the door is open, your fuse in question would yield a ~12V reading.

-chart-

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Reverse cables

i have seen blown fuses when someone has hooked a battery cables up in reverse order.
I would think the 175A mega fuse to the alternator would make a bit of a spark when the last cable was touched to the post. That should be a wake up call just before that fuse let go. And one would hope it protected the diodes. Some years ago, there was no fuse in the alternator wire. If a diode shorted, it just burned that one diode wire through and you went on with reduced charging capacity. We used to replace diode packs in alternators back in the day. Good riddance.:)

-chart-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts