Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm no Taurus newbie, however I am in need of your expertise. I used to own a 90 Sable with the Vulcan. Some of you might remember me as My Car Has Peeling Paint.

Anyhow, I test drove a 96 Taurus with the Duratec for my girlfriend. The car has about 67k on the clock. When I shifted from park into reverse, it went into gear hard, and the same going into drive. Also, as I was slowing down, it has a hard 2-1 shift. Is this common or is the tranny on its way out?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did you look at the fluid while the car is running at operating tempature. Define hard in drive, and reverse mine kinda does a lil hard but atleast you know its engageing. How does it shift from 1st to 2nd , and or into overdrive it just may need to be flushed . See if you can get some service records on it see if the trans has ever been flushed, if not might not be such a good buy cause the trans could be going. In these cars its very important to change the trans fluid , even if you drop the pan, and change the filter, and fluid in pan, and clean the pan and magnet .. If the trans is bad in that situation youll find chunks and pieces in the pan normal will have wear and tear lil metal fillings and band wear .. does the car look like its been taken care of very well i have a 99 and ive put some workinto it after bying it i wished i would ponied up aanother grand and bought the 04 i was looking at .. either way look up records check fluid level if its a only one you can afford, otherwise buy a newer vulcan get better gas mileage easier to work on in my opinion . but make sure if you get newer taurus get 04 to 06 vulcan they have the ax4n trans which is better .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm not mistaken, the Duratecs got the AX4N. The fluid is red and doesn't smell burnt. The 1-2 and 3-4 shifts are smooth. I noticed that the motor moved around a little bit, perhaps bad motor mounts. When I shift the car into any drive gear, it goes in with a thud. I read somewhere that the neutral to drive accumulator has problems on these cars. The car was pretty well maintained. I'll have to see if I can find service records.

·
Registered
161 Posts
LOL, I tried my old logon and sure enough it worked!

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah mine shifts into third and jerks so dont feel bad there weid my car only has 41k miles on it its a 99 duratec with ax4n i didnt flush tourque converter or disattch the coller line i just changed fluid in the pan and changed filter and cleaned it real good with brake clean i had some band wear light metal flakes normal wear for car service advisor at ford told me just to drop the pan the rest can cause pump to fail if you run it dry

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 94. I know one of the tranny mounts is warn but it slams pretty hard 2-1 and it has to be an easy fix. oh and mine will not down shift at all into passing gear.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I wouldn't get it. Try to find her a nicer tec. My buddy got his for 3500 with 30 k on the clock, impeccable interior and severely documented service records due to a ford tech owning it. He traded his 06 in when the 2010 SHO came out. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts