Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 Ford Taurus DOHC that has been acting up for a bit. Typically, after about half an hour of driving, the car seems to pop out of gear when I brake. Initially when the problem started, the car would start hopping or jerking while I was at a stop and then would "thunk" back into gear when I would try to accelerate. Today it didn't hop and jerk, but it seemed to have a much harder time to drop back into gear. Any suggestions as to the issue or why it only seems to do this when I'm braking would be much appreciated...
I had the transmission replaced about 2 years ago between 150 and 160k and the only other thing I've had to replace was the TPS when the car decided to try to drive itself several months back.

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
I assume you have correctly checked tranny fluid level (fluid at operating temp, car level, put is each gear for several seconds, then put in park, and checked with engine running). Low fluid level can uncover the filter during braking, acceleration, cornering and cause the pump to suck air and loose pressure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Transmission fluid was fine when I checked it again yesterday. I'm still hoping for an easy fix as I enjoy the land of denial. I'll take it to the mechanic friday if I can't find anything else wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts