Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Car drives then loses power, starts fine and does it again

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  pawpaw 
#1 ·
I have a 95 GL with a 3.0 liter engine. I bought it at an auction. It drove fine for about 20 miles then wouldn't start. It turned over but nothing. I didn't hear the fuel pump so I replaced that and put in a new fuel filter. Now the car starts but after running for a few miles (anywhere from 1/4 to maybe 5 miles) it will not accelerate. The car will idle forward but not pick up any speed. If you keep running it will eventually sputter then die. Once it dies it will restart immediately and run fine for a short time like before, but eventually loose it's acceleration, sputter and die. It will always restart immediately and run like nothing happened. Just in case the fuel line had some crap in it I replaced the filter again. I ran some fuel through the line and it seems to be clean. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you all.

#2 ·
Welcome to TCCA.

This model/year has a return type fuel system, that has the fuel pressure regulator mounted under hood on the fuel rail, so pull its vacuum line to see if its wet inside with fuel, if so replace the regulator.

While your there, hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail schrader valve test port & place the gauge so you can read it from inside the cabin & drive it until it begins to act out & have a look at the fuel pressure to see what its doing.

Let us know how it goes.

#3 ·
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to connect. I pulled the vacuum line and it was dry. Then I pulled the regulator and the 2 o-rings were split and looked worn. I don't know if I can find those to replace so I may have to replace the regulator itself. Anyone have any other ideas for me to check while I'm at it? I truly appreciate all the help.

#4 ·
The regulators are cheap, maybe $30 or so. I would just replace it.

#5 ·
^+1 on just replacing the regulator, its 17 years old, so its done its thing after all of those years.

While your there with the lines disconnected, make sure the return line to the fuel tank is clear/unobstructed, so that the pump isn't working against itself trying to pump fuel back to the tank in this return type system.

If you continue to have peoblems, or you want to trouble shoot the problem further before replacing the fuel pressure regulator, visit Harbor Freight, they have an inexpensive fuel pressure gauge for about $19, that'll work fine if you connect things
with some ptfe ribbon dope on the threaded fittings so they don't weep.

Keep us posted on your trouble shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.