Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A car sits in the driveway for months. Hard to start. Once starts, almost immediately sputters badly and dies. Last time the car was used (2-3 months back), no problem. Old gas (months) problem?

Q: How do I know for sure it's not the spark problem? Is there a way to check ignition coil? I removed one spark plug. Wet. Strong fuel smell.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Highly doubt it's because of old gas. Have had many vehicles sit for months even over a year and start and run. I agree with rickpark, check your fuel pressure

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I agree it isnt bad gas. While E10 gas does start to go bad much faster that 100% gasoline, a few months isnt enough to make even E10 get bad enough to cause your problems. I have had cars sit for 6+ months with E10 in the tank and they started and ran fine.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Water?

A car sits in the driveway for months. Hard to start. Once starts, almost immediately sputters badly and dies. Last time the car was used (2-3 months back), no problem. Old gas (months) problem?

Q: How do I know for sure it's not the spark problem? Is there a way to check ignition coil? I removed one spark plug. Wet. Strong fuel smell.

Thanks.
Possible water in the gas.

If it fires it has spark. If it dies, it may not have gas, may have water, may have a bad fuel pump, or filter plugged.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for many suggestions. All seem to point to fuel. I just replaced the fuel filter. Will report back after this coming weekend.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Gas

Thanks for many suggestions. All seem to point to fuel. I just replaced the fuel filter. Will report back after this coming weekend.
I have done this.

Disconnect filter at engine end, put a hose on it, and into a container.

Hot wire the fuel pump to put some gas in the container. Check the color of the gas, and see if water settles to the bottom. If it is bad, pump it all out and dispose of it.

I hot wire with a portable battery/jumper battery. Disconnect the pump wire at the inertia switch, then put the + on that wire, and ground to body for how long you want to pump.

Do this outside of course.

-chart-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts