Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been discussed before, and if it has please direct me to the right post.

As the title of my post says, our Taurus has been having this starting/fuel pump problem. It started over a year ago, and really only showed up in the colder months of the year.

Normally turning the key to the run position before starting, (as opposed to start) you will hear the fuel pump prime. Sometimes after it starts it just kills right away. Most times it starts just fine.

After it dies, if I turn the key back to 'run' I won't hear the fuel pump prime. Then if I try to start, it just cranks and cranks, and won't fire. Usually after this happens, if I wait about 10 minutes, the fuel pump will prime, and it'll start right up, no problem.

Again sorry if this has been discussed before, and thank you for any help.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Welcome to TCCA.

I'll see if I can get things started.

With the problem being intermittent, at this point I might put the underhood fuel pump power relay on your suspect list.

Maybe listen for it to click when you go to KOEO, before cranking the engine.

If you can't hear it click, to close it's fuel pump power contacts, to have the pump run, try giving it a thump & see if it'll wake up, or give it's wiring harness, or give it's actuating coils ground wire a wiggle, or check it's ground point connections for looseness or corrosion.

if no joy, use a multimeter or 12volt test lamp to determine if you have power from the computer to the fuel pump relay actuating coil & if you have 12 volts to & through the relays power contacts to run the pump.

If all thats ok, then check for power to & through te trunk mounted inertia switch, then through the inertia switch to the fuel pump.

Have you done a KOEO & KOER fuel pressure check, to make sure the pump or pressure regulator aren't ouputting a wimpy fuel pressure????

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I had similar problem and it turned out to be a bad battery. Check that!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to TCCA.

I'll see if I can get things started.

With the problem being intermittent, at this point I might put the underhood fuel pump power relay on your suspect list.

Maybe listen for it to click when you go to KOEO, before cranking the engine.

If you can't hear it click, to close it's fuel pump power contacts, to have the pump run, try giving it a thump & see if it'll wake up, or give it's wiring harness, or give it's actuating coils ground wire a wiggle, or check it's ground point connections for looseness or corrosion.

if no joy, use a multimeter or 12volt test lamp to determine if you have power from the computer to the fuel pump relay actuating coil & if you have 12 volts to & through the relays power contacts to run the pump.

If all thats ok, then check for power to & through te trunk mounted inertia switch, then through the inertia switch to the fuel pump.

Have you done a KOEO & KOER fuel pressure check, to make sure the pump or pressure regulator aren't ouputting a wimpy fuel pressure????
Thank you for your help. I haven't checked anything as of yet. I'm also not sure how to go about checking fuel pressure. Since I gotta start somewhere, I'll start by listening for the fuel pump power relay. My gut tells me something is up with something fuel pump related, since it won't prime. I'll also start investigating how to check fuel pressure. I'm not sure how to do it so any help is greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it started today. I tried it earlier this morning and it wouldn't fire. This afternoon, tried again and it's starting fine, now that I went and got a multimeter to start testing!

Having never really done any testing like this, I tried measuring the voltage going through the fuel pump relay in the fuse box under the hood and got a reading. Now, once it won't start again, I'll try measuring it again while someone else cranks.

What I found sounds completely different than what you described though. Is the 'fuel pump power relay' the little fuse in the fuse box, or are you talking about something different?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Are we talking about your 01 3.0L Vulcan????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts