Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to Georgia (north of Atlanta) to fetch my mom who had been visiting friends. I was going to go alone but I had decided to gather all my money (mostly from selling the Hondas) and buy a car while I was up there, so my dad decided to drive. Why he decided to drive the 12 MPG F-250 with a camper on the back, I have no idea.

Anyway, we get there Sunday eveining. Its forcast to be in the 20s that night. There is not enough room for all three of us in the camper. We decide to get a hotel. The next morning, we get up, and make our way to the bank at 9 AM to cash a check and close out an account (my parents used to live there, they live in MS now). I call up the guy whom I've spoken to on about four occasions so far.

Here is the story on that: This is the car I came to GA to buy. It is a 1998 Ford Taurus SE. Nick (bull geek) says its an SE Comfort. It has the Duratec, alloys, climate control, floor shift, a spoiler (looked like it came from an SHO), keyless, auto head lamps, etc. The best part is not only all of that wonderful equipment, but also the mileage, just 60K original. The car is said to be flawless inside and out. The price is $2,200. I agreed over the phone with the guy that I'd pay him that in cash, in full, as long as the car was in the condition he described it. He said he had recipts within the past three months were the car had a complete service, including trans fluid/filter, coolant flush, tune up, front brakes, etc, etc, etc. All scheduled maintaince, DONE.

I try the guy three times before I get an answer. Its now about 11AM local time. He finnaly answers and says he sold the car about an hour ago. I was so mad, I couldnt think clearly.

Finnaly, when I had calmed down, I proceeded to my back-up-plan. I had picked out another car on Craigslist that I liked and that was close to our route through Georgia. This car was a 1996 Ford Crown Victoria. 73K original miles, said to be very nice inside and out. Its major cosmetic flaw was that three of the four centercaps were missing from the lacy-spoke wheels. Big deal. Price is the same as the Taurus, $2,200. I call the guy and he meets us at a Wal*Mart parking lot.

The Crown Vic looked worse for only 73K miles than my dads F-250 does for 263K. The paint was originally black. He went over it with a shade of very dark green with chrome flake in it. It didnt sparkle as I'm sure it was intended, but instead just made the car look dusty, like it sat in Phoenix for a year. The lacy spoke alloys were gone. In their place were four black steelies that were at least two different styles (came off two different gen of Panthers). The tires were bald. There were obvious flaws and runs in the paint. Moving inside, the plastic surrounding the gauge cluster (the clear cover you look through when looking at the actual gauges) was broken and cracked. The knobs for the A/C were missing. The front seats were covered in vinyl. The rear seats looked like a bluish-green, as did the door pannels and carpet, I've never seen such a color. Maybe it was died at some point (like it was originally blue, but attempted to be died green?) to make it resemble the outside, I dont know. There was an aftermarket button on the dash pannel. I asked what it was, and the owner of this supposedly one owner car said the previous owners put it there and he doesnt know what it does. He began blaming all flaws with the car on these "previous owners". The only redeaming quality about the whole car was the engine. It ran absolutly flawlessly, just as it should for 73,000 miles (which makes me believe that the miles are original, just that this was a physically abused car). I reluctantly offered him $1,500. He budged down to $2,100 (from 2,200). I said no thanks and walked away.

And me and my bad back had to ride in the extended cab of the F-250 for 500 miles all the way home.

I've got no car and only a fair sum of money missing to show for my weekend (money used for food, motel, etc., none of which I'd have to have spent if I'd stayed home).

Needless to say I'm bummed. I :( On goes the search for my next car, though. I now will no longer considor cars in Atlanta. I got burned on the Aerostar and Taurus, two perfect vehicles for the perfect price, both sold just before I got there.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
With your bad back, you really can't beat a Crown Victoria. I am sure you will find one. I looked high and low for my Thunderbird and eventually found one.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happened again! I called about a '94 Taurus in great shape for $1,200. I didnt want a car this old but it certainly was clean and I love that body style. I called about it. "It just sold earlier today." Uhhgg.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Happened again! I called about a '94 Taurus in great shape for $1,200. I didnt want a car this old but it certainly was clean and I love that body style. I called about it. "It just sold earlier today." Uhhgg.
[/b]
Yeah the thing with Craigslist is that if the deal is good, it'll be gone soon so you need to be in a position to go right away. When I'm looking for specific things, I check it every day. Have you also tried autotrader? I think it's mostly dealers there though.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Have you tried looking for a Grandma Marquis? They seem to stay for sale a bit longer than Vics

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Yeah the thing with Craigslist is that if the deal is good, it'll be gone soon so you need to be in a position to go right away. When I'm looking for specific things, I check it every day. Have you also tried autotrader? I think it's mostly dealers there though. [/b][/quote]

Nothing decent on autotrader in my area. I check it every few days but its always the same cars.

Today I found a 2000 Ford Taurus LX for $2,100. Says 70K miles. But, I called it, and a guy with a very heavy Eastern-European accent tells me that it had a small bump in the front, they replaced the bumper and head lamps but otherwise the car is fine. Has a rebuilt title. Sevice Engine Soon light is on "sometimes" he says. I'm not really thinking that this is the car for me. :ph34r:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts