Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wondering if someone could gimme any suggestions....I have a 98 Ford Taurus w/ the Vulcan engine....I got this used in 2001, had about 40k miles on it, and now it has 52k. I've done regular work on the car such as oil change, etc....but this year I had two major problems. The first one started around March, when my heater core (not sure what exactly its called) messed up.....the cost to fix that at the dealer was $1k cause my mechanic couldn't do it.

A couple weeks ago, my ABS light went on, and I took that to the dealer since the mechanic said this was also something he couldn't do. Turns out my ABS control module is bad. The cost to fix that is $800. :(......this has all been within one year. I don't want to sell this car till I finish college and get a decent paying job (at which point I buy a Mustang :), but I don't want to drop $ on these kinda problems.

So my question is......do I drop the $800 at the dealer to fix the ABS control module, or is there another alternative? And also, what else should I do to ensure nothing else breaks down in the future and cost me tons of $$$?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Find one in a junk yard !

·
Registered
341 Posts
:withstupid:

junk yard special, definitely. and really, there's nothing much you can do except regular (and preventive) maintenance.

word of advice: a tranny cooler is a good idea, to avoid major $$$$$ later on, and they're fairly cheap, ranging from $25 to about $50. the tranny in our cars is major garbage, so they need to be babied.

good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts