Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was hoping to get a Colgan car bra for Christmas from my parents (it was all I could think of at the time). So my dad goes downtown to the local parts shop, and the guy there basically says that car bra's are evil, will do nothing but damage paint and cause rust, needs to be removed and dried every time it rains, etc. etc. and to not bother with it - "but" - the local body shop can do some kind of spray-on coating that will protect the front of the car.

BS or ? <_<

Has anyone here owned and used a car bra (Colgan or other) for a number of years without it causing any real problems?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I've got a Colgan on the front of my Taurus, and I had a Lebra on there before that (Bob has it now.) It's been a couple of years since we got it.

Basically, I leave it on there, wet or hot, and only remove it when I wash the car. The paint is faded a good deal where the car bra sits, but thats probably because I never drive Lilu around without it anymore.

From what I've seen, the heavier colgan (which is tight against the body and doesn't move or flap) hasn't had any scratches or anything, not that that would matter. I put the bra on because a) the "unremovable" bumper dent protector sticker that had been on the car since we bought it had cracked and yellowfied and 2) the hood has a good sized dent that I unhappily caused during a PCV valve problem I diagnosed. Basically, I have it to hide the front of the car rather than to protect it.

I would say, though, that if you were up to taking it off all the time, making sure it got waxed and washed quite often, and generally pampered the front of the car after you got it, you wouldn't have any adverse side effects. The front of the SHO would look hot hot hot with one, and if you were instead getting it for the Popo, I'm sure it would look good there, too.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be for the '98. The front end is covered with bug guts, after three washes I still can't get them off, even bought that special bug removed stuff. I figured I could just hide them instead
since it's not dented or chipped (yet).

Also keep in mind that the first 50k miles this car saw were not very pleasant - I think the only thing the last guy did was change the oil. I changed the air filter after I bought it last summer ('02) and, I kid you not CHUNKS OF DIRT fell out of the air cleaner

I've switch to Mobil 1 full synthetic, got the cams welded, did a bunch of other little stuff, and new tires last spring.

Thanks for the advice so far

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
bra's have a tendancy to scratch the paint really bad - especially if you don't take it off regularly and wash and wax it. They do kinda protect the bumper from rocks and such, but not really worth it im my opinion. if you like the looks, buy it. cut it can hurt more than it helps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a Colgan "half bra" on the front of my 94. It was very good quality, heavy duty, nice soft underside where contacts against the paint. I never had a problem with paint fade (garage kept), never had any scratches or rust under the bra as well. But...I cleaned under it on regular occasions. Usually when I washed and waxed the car.

I also didn't have it on the car in the winter time, that way the salt and crap didn't get under it.

I kept it on the car 10 months out of the year.

As for Le Bra's, I had a buddy that had one on his probe and it scratched the hood, and flapped in the wind. My Colgan NEVER flapped in the wind, even at freeway speeds (70+).

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I took mine off today after five months. No scratches or anything.

I drive a lot of highway miles and bugs and rocks and everything else destroyed the paint on my 94 GL

10 years ago they did scratch but the ones today are lined. One of the most important things about a bra is to install it right. Don't try to put it on when it is cold,They shrink and expand.

Mine is a coverkraft which apparently is not top of the line but I consider it one of the best investments I have made .

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I'm not a huge fan but I was considering it because the front of my car is really rough. The bumper and the bottom of the hood as well. I still might, but I gotta wonder if the money I'd spend on the bra would be better spent put towards a front end paint job.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Dec 7 2003, 09:25 PM
The front of the SHO would look hot hot hot with one
Agreed. I was always anti-bra before I got my SHO. It has a nice little ding above one of the front side markers that I wanted to cover up. Some jackass (prolly the dealer) drilled crooked holes in the front bumper for a license plate, even though Ford put two little dimples in there so you would know where to drill. $90 to mask these little flaws seemed worth it to me. It looks fabulous, especially after you have it on for a few days (or a few minutes on a hot day) and it begins to mold itself to the contours of the front of the car.

I got mine here. They have nice floor mats too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My gen1 came with a LeBra back when I bought it some 3-4 years ago...God knows how long it's been on there...and I'd never taken it off until recently when I saw a post much like this (hearing about how it fades/scratches the paint) to see what it looked like underneath. My paint is neither faded nor scratched in the least bit, and if I were to take pictures of it, no one would be able to guess a bra had even been on there (my baby doesn't have any crazy bra tan lines).

So I don't understand how it gets faded or scratched. Mine looks just fine.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I have a full LeBra on my Gen 3 Taurus, and with a regular wash and wax, it looks fine. I would recommend that if you have bra on, and you live in a cold place where it snows and salt is abundant, that you remove the bra in the winter times. That will help reduce the rusting and faiding of the paint. Just my $0.2.

Adam

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some great information turning up here

First off, I'm storing my SHO in the winter, so it's only out from about April through October - 6 or 7 months depending on the weather. No salt or snow to worry about.

It will, however, be sitting out in the sun during the day at work.

Still, four or five years from now it will be a 10+ year old car, gotta expect a few imperfections by then.

Lots to consider though... if I want one, it's mine for Christmas

·
Registered
423 Posts
You can't argue with this fit:

Cheapest place you'll find a Colgan: here.

I bought mine from this guy, real smooth transaction.

I don't really have any info to add, everything has pretty much been covered. But I will say that it is WAY easier to clean the bra off than it is to scrape bug guts off of your paint. Mine won't be on as much next summer, just basically for road trips as my baby will be undergoing some major transformations...........

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I just bought a Colgan 2 days ago from that guy on eBay. Now in CA I have to have my front license plate showing. Will that bra cover that plate or will I need to cut it open now?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by UnDeR EsTiMaTeD@Dec 10 2003, 12:09 PM
I just bought a Colgan 2 days ago from that guy on eBay. Now in CA I have to have my front license plate showing. Will that bra cover that plate or will I need to cut it open now?
Send him an email. He might just be warehousing ready-made Colgans, but I doubt it. For that price, he's probably drop-shipping right from the factory. When I ordered mine from car-truck-accesories, they asked me whether I wanted the front license plate opening or not. He should have access to both options.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Dec 10 2003, 09:13 AM-->QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Dec 10 2003, 09:13 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-UnDeR EsTiMaTeD
@Dec 10 2003, 12:09 PM
I just bought a Colgan 2 days ago from that guy on eBay.  Now in CA I have to have my front license plate showing.  Will that bra cover that plate or will I need to cut it open now?
Send him an email. He might just be warehousing ready-made Colgans, but I doubt it. For that price, he's probably drop-shipping right from the factory. When I ordered mine from car-truck-accesories, they asked me whether I wanted the front license plate opening or not. He should have access to both options. [/b]
It's already been shipped. All he asked if I had a SHO or cornering lights. I'm hoping it has an opening for the license plate. If not, any remedies to fix that?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by UnDeR EsTiMaTeD@Dec 10 2003, 08:46 PM
It's already been shipped. All he asked if I had a SHO or cornering lights. I'm hoping it has an opening for the license plate. If not, any remedies to fix that?
screw the front *** tag and just leave it off! oh they make me so mad!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Originally posted by mcgilles+Dec 10 2003, 05:56 PM-->QUOTE (mcgilles @ Dec 10 2003, 05:56 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-UnDeR EsTiMaTeD
@Dec 10 2003, 08:46 PM
It's already been shipped.  All he asked if I had a SHO or cornering lights.  I'm hoping it has an opening for the license plate.  If not, any remedies to fix that?
screw the front *** tag and just leave it off! oh they make me so mad!
[/b]
Yeah, but with my luck I'd be pulled over and handed a $187 ticket.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've actually used 3 bras so I must like them. Some major points for good function. Pleanty of wax below the bra. Keep it snug, flapping makes marks. SHO 2NV was also right about being much easier to clean bugs. I kept mine on the Tauruses year round. With as much salt and sinders on the road in the winter, a slight mark underneath the bra is better than a bunch of rock chips. Also, LeBra made the license plate opening standard. One flap could be removed for the plate. Not sure if Colgans are the same. They should be,if not, get out your scissors (and don't over do it).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts