Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On ebay the system that I want is about $120 (shipped)+elbow grease

I am looking into buying and installing an alarm myself. I am mechanically inclined and familiar w/electronics. I can follow instructions and diagrams. What I need to know is:
If you have installed a radio head unit can you compare (alarm much more/less difficult)?
Has anyone tried to install an alarm?
Or if you just have a horror story and learned your lesson(not to play with auto electronics) let me know.
Also if you paid to have it installed how much was the installation?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any alarm installation info would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
it is much more complicated then a radio install...

id be glad to try and answer questions you may have. There is wiring diagrams in the electrical section of the archives pinned to the top.

Brad

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that diagram will be helpful. I ordered the system today, so by this weekendn I'll have it installed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey man, I install stereos alot in peoples' cars. But I tell them all when they ask if I can put an alarm in.. "hell no" I mean, I'm good with electronics and all, I just dont wanna be responsible for killing someones car. Hell, I wouldnt even wire an alarm in my own car! :lol2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WATCHING THE PISTONS AND ALL I FEEL ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. AND I'M CHEAP AS HECK.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I think ur cheap? I have a bulldog alarm from like NAPA cost me like 37 dollars and All it does is make noise when the car is knocked. But i turned the sensitivity all the way up so Even like a very light nudge to the car will set it off and damn is that thing annoying.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have located all off the wires except the ignition harness. Logic would tell me that it's very near the ignition, but none of the colors match. The only yellow wires look as if they belong to the airbag.

In relation to the ignition "key hole" where is the ignition harness?
I've also seen wire harnesses near the brake pad none of the colors match the desription of ignition wire harness.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I know. I said I was cheap. I also live in a "low risk" area(not too many car thefts). It also has alot of features.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
if you can not find the ignition harness...and take this with a grain of salt....pay to have it installed...please...

Brad

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jun 21 2004, 08:30 PM
if you can not find the ignition harness...and take this with a grain of salt....pay to have it installed...please...

Brad
I can't believe that I have identified and tested every wire except the ones that go to the ignition harness. :huh:

If I don't find them by this Friday I'll pay for professional install.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:banana:
I have found and tested every wire including ignition harness. My power lock doesn't respond to the remote though.
I think that I have 5 wire.
What is the polarity?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it!

Thanks Baby SHO, my system doesn't support 5 wire. But since it (switch) does rest at ground I connected it the "reverse polarity" way with the switch for ground at the normally closed contacts. Its logically sound as long as the manual and keyless aren't pressed at the same time! At any rate all of my features work with exception of trunk release, but my release is mechanical (not electric). :chili:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I got it!

Thanks Baby SHO, my system doesn't support 5 wire. But since it (switch) does rest at ground I connected it the "reverse polarity" way with the switch for ground at the normally closed contacts. Its logically sound as long as the manual and keyless aren't pressed at the same time! At any rate all of my features work with exception of trunk release, but my release is mechanical (not electric). :chili:
[/b]
hopefully that ebay one was decent i put one on my neon, man what a POS although it only worked have the time had to replace the batteries in the remotes like once a month...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts