Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving 30 mph and stopped at a stop sign. Engine accellerates to 4,000 RPW with my foot on the brake. I shifted to neutral and the engine slowed to 800 RPM. What caused the car to accellerate while braking? 2000 Duratec. Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bad tranny? TC stall speed won't allow that high RPM without spinning tires or killing the engine. Does it seem to slip as you drive?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad tranny? TC stall speed won't allow that high RPM without spinning tires or killing the engine. Does it seem to slip as you drive?
The car and engine was slowing down as I came to a stop. Then the ABS kicked in as the car and engine accellerated. The tranny does not slip when I drive. I did not press on the gas pedal and brake at the same time. When I shifted to neutral, the RPMs went down to 800 RPM while I still had my foot on the brake. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
That is either a speed sensor or a TPS problem. The TC should be unlocked and allowed to slip below 40 mph or so. If the TC was locked it would stall the engine at a stop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting, my wife had the same unfortunate experience, only with a 2000 Windstar. We had just finished cleaning the garage and she was driving back into the when it accelerated, she said she put her foot on the brake and it took off. Long and short of this just under $9000 to patch up the new doorway she put into the spare bedroom and fix the car. Oh yes for $357 Ford checked it out ……… nothing wrong!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting, my wife had the same unfortunate experience, only with a 2000 Windstar. We had just finished cleaning the garage and she was driving back into the when it accelerated, she said she put her foot on the brake and it took off. Long and short of this just under $9000 to patch up the new doorway she put into the spare bedroom and fix the car. Oh yes for $357 Ford checked it out ……… nothing wrong!
It doesn't surprise me that the dealer found "nothing wrong". I'm glad no one was hurt. My car is 10 years old with and 75,000 miles and it never happened before. I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and the IAC. There was some carbon, but that's what I expected. Cables looked clean and moved easily with no crimps. Computers are strange and sometimes strange things happen. If it happens again, it goes to the shop, but I have little faith they can figure it out. Thanks for your help and advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Were you using your cruise control? I had this problem about 5 years ago on mine. I believe it was when I was using the cruise control though. The switch that turned off the cruise when I pressed the brake wasn't working. That is very scary when you go to stop and your car wants to take off on you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts