Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a MiniDV camcorder today, and I went to capture video (through USB) and it captures SLOW! It goes frame by frame and captures the sound bits and pictures, and then puts them all togather..
I mean, it takes like 5 mins to capture a 10 sec video!
Does anyone know if using a "DV" Cable or Firewire would make it capture in real time!? Or anyone know of any programs that would help out with this problem?

Thanks..
My Camera is Miniature

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Is it performing some kind of compression while it's transfering?

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Get a Firewire and it will come with editing software. I use Ulead VideoStudio 6.0 and it works OK, but not great. You need a fast processor and up to date computer hardware to prevent dropped frames which cause the vids to become jerky.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I recommend Pinnacle Studio DV (whatever version they are up to), you can buy it in a bundle with a Firewire card, and the necessary cable. Its fast to capture, but miniDV format takes 12 gig per hour approximately....so you'd want a fast computer and a spare HDD for storage. I have a 80 gig HDD dedicated to captured video until I finish editing it and outputting it onto DVD or something.

Julian

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The encoding of the DV is a high bit rate, so there is a crapload of information. The buss that the data is transferred on is not fast enough to do ANYTHING in real time. The closest you could get at this point would be USB 2.0, which runs at 230 MB/sec, I think. IEEE 1333 (Firewire) is a little slower than that, but no technology that is commercially (or privately) available, AFAIK, can stream data like that in real time.

Most of the people that I that do stuff like this are running high end PCs, ie- Pentium IV 3.4 ghz (overclocked to 3.6), 2-3 gigs of PC3500 DDR dual channel RAM, and have HUGE Serial ATA hard drives (3x 160 GB). If you're serious about this stuff, you need the high end stuff....

JR

·
Banned
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am on a AMD Athlon XP + 1900, with a GeForce 3 TI.. So I think it should handle it fine,.

And I dont think it is doing any kind of compression...

·
Registered
233 Posts
That should be fine with a firewire card. THough capturing is in real time. I used to do all my capturing and edition on a P3 733Mhz, so it is doable on most computers. If you will be outputting back onto the miniDV tapes then it won't need any recompression, but once you start wanting to put it on dvd or something, the time taken can spiral.
Either way I recommend a Studio DV kit (comes with the firewire card)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts