Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i have a 1993 mercury sable and its been about a week since I drove it last. I went to go drive it this afternoon and I was unable to shift from park. My brake lights don't work either. Any ideas? I've already checked the fuses as a friend told me that might be a problem. Thanks

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Check the brake switch and harness. Looks like a little toggle switch above the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Are you sure you checked the right fuses? We had the same problem on a 94 t-bird and it was because of a bad brake-light fuse.

Anyway, IIRC you can turn the key to the on position(but don't start it), then pull the shifter down to neutral, then start it. That way you can drive until you fix the problem.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Well, I had this problem, then I found out that to change it out of Park, you have to PRESS THE BRAKE DOWN!

Yeah, I felt dumb after that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured out how to drive by starting it in neutral and that works fine, except the brake lights. I checked all the fuses in the box and none were blown. I will check the brake switch tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The BOO (Brake on/off) switch can go bad. It is located above the brake pedal. I think the part is really cheap (Under $20) and easy to replace. Do a search about the BOO switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fixed it, the switch had become disconnected and I must have missed it. Thanks for all the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts