Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a rant than a question. I've put so much effort into keeping my car looking good and I just can't seem to! Last summer I had a little fender bender and had minor body work done on my rear fender at a body shop recommended by the ford dealership. Looked good and everything seemed fine. The beginning of this summer I had it clay barred and detailed to get the surface scratches/ swirls out. Looked great! But he pointed out a spot that he said looked like the clear coat was peeling where the body work was done, the body shop felt it was otherwise and didn't care to touch it up. So stuck with that mark. I then bought the interior detail from ziebart that said they did a hand wash of the exterior, so I thought I was safe, my car left there with HUGE scratches going all the way across my trunk. They wet sanded it to the best of their abilities then said the rest was surface scratches from somewhere else, which was a lie because I just got the clay bar done a month prior and hand washed it except twice I went through the car wash. So got stuck with those scratches. And while I was there they pointed out a few dents in my door and trunk that I hadn't noticed prior that looks like people swinging their door open without looking. Then I park in the back of the lot to try and avoid any more damage and a truck decides to park right behind me and bump my bumper and leave a nice scratch right above the license plate. So with all that said and done I've completely given up and trying to kept this car looking nice, just don't have to time and money to pretty much completely redo the whole paint job :(

·
Registered
491 Posts
This is more of a rant than a question. I've put so much effort into keeping my car looking good and I just can't seem to! Last summer I had a little fender bender and had minor body work done on my rear fender at a body shop recommended by the ford dealership. Looked good and everything seemed fine. The beginning of this summer I had it clay barred and detailed to get the surface scratches/ swirls out. Looked great! But he pointed out a spot that he said looked like the clear coat was peeling where the body work was done, the body shop felt it was otherwise and didn't care to touch it up. So stuck with that mark. I then bought the interior detail from ziebart that said they did a hand wash of the exterior, so I thought I was safe, my car left there with HUGE scratches going all the way across my trunk. They wet sanded it to the best of their abilities then said the rest was surface scratches from somewhere else, which was a lie because I just got the clay bar done a month prior and hand washed it except twice I went through the car wash. So got stuck with those scratches. And while I was there they pointed out a few dents in my door and trunk that I hadn't noticed prior that looks like people swinging their door open without looking. Then I park in the back of the lot to try and avoid any more damage and a truck decides to park right behind me and bump my bumper and leave a nice scratch right above the license plate. So with all that said and done I've completely given up and trying to kept this car looking nice, just don't have to time and money to pretty much completely redo the whole paint job :(
That's because you live in New York, I use to live in chicago and you could not keep a car without some moron smashing into it or someone stealing it. Now I live in the pacific north west and the only thing that messes up my car is the rain.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea moving out of NY is definitely a goal of mine. Not because nm of my car, but would be a nice bonus

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
All winter long I went to Delta Sonic to keep the rust/salt off the car. They put in more scratches than the salt they took out... my body looks like crap now. I'm really sorry I bothered with it.

tl;dr: I feel you, bro.

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
The price to pay for owning a vehicle. This is the reason why I don't buy brand new cars, besides the fact that I just can't afford it now. The first scratch I would see in it, I would want to kill the person who put it in after spending the asinine prices for a new car that loses value the second you drive it off the lot.

When I was making payments on cars, I would always buy "new" cars that had a little mileage on it so a scratch wasn't going to stab me though the heart. Plus I got good prices on the cars at that point. Unfortunately it happens. People don't respect a damn thing anymore. I watched someone in a parking garage just throw their door open and slam it into the car next to them like it wasn't there. Then just walked away not even looking at it. It's this 'I'm better than everyone else' society we live in now. Self centered, ignorant idiots everywhere.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Yup, that's the way to go John.

I always look for a lower mileage 2 year old Ford product that still has at least 6 months left on the 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty.

I save quite a bit of money and if anything goes wrong, I use that warranty.

I always give the car a thorough check right before the 3/36K warranty expires to see if anything else needs repair.

And of course, I use carfax and autocheck. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea if I ever have the chance to buy new it's definitely going to be a special occasion car and not a daily driver

·
Registered
879 Posts
I know how that goes. I've had my car for ~7 months now, and throughout those 7 months probably 15-20 chips of paint appeared on the car. Most of them were on the very front of the hood, near where it meets the grille, with others on the A pillar, door handle area, and rear wheel well area. Touch up paint is the bomb, though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chips on the hood are to be expected, unless you buy a bra of some sort. I actually bought my car used with the bug guard on the hood so mine isn't terrible. The doors get the blunt of the abuse on my car

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
Chips on the hood are to be expected, unless you buy a bra of some sort. I actually bought my car used with the bug guard on the hood so mine isn't terrible. The doors get the blunt of the abuse on my car
Always get a laugh when I see a rusty junker with a bra on it. :lol2:

Like the locking lugs on a rusty Neon on those rusted steel wheels.

-chart-

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Always get a laugh when I see a rusty junker with a bra on it. :lol2:

Like the locking lugs on a rusty Neon on those rusted steel wheels.

-chart-
Or a rusted Camry with spinners. Yes, that actually happened once.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
See pic, one reason to own older well used cars. Hit and run, other driver picking up van for Avis, 4 adult witness and video tape. Waiting for sheriff report as the airport clerks called the sheriff.
Sable was parked.
But, it will buff out::p

If not, it is a $406 car (totaled and buy back) from 4+ years ago, and 56K more miles. Daughter said the guy's van got a crease all along the side, front to back. Bulls are tough!.

-chart-

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
And see if something like that happened to a brand new car I was driving, I would want to ring the other drivers neck. I have so many scratches/dings/chips on both my cars now that I probably wouldn't even notice though ;)

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Andrew, I wouldn't go to the trouble of painting your car. Remove all of your mods and trade it in so you can take advantage of a good deal on a newer bull.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andrew, I wouldn't go to the trouble of painting your car. Remove all of your mods and trade it in so you can take advantage of a good deal on a newer bull.
Unfortunately I've put way too many miles on this to get anywhere neat what I still owe on it. But I don't know if I would go back to ford with all the cosmetic issues just from the assembly line. For instance peeling chrome tail lights and lettering on the dash falling off smh. I never had those kinds of issues with my 12 year old altima

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Unfortunately I've put way too many miles on this to get anywhere neat what I still owe on it. But I don't know if I would go back to ford with all the cosmetic issues just from the assembly line. For instance peeling chrome tail lights and lettering on the dash falling off smh. I never had those kinds of issues with my 12 year old altima
Not necessarily an assembly line issue as much as it's a manufacturing issue with the tails. You could simply replace them with the SE/SEL taillights without the chrome strip.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not necessarily an assembly line issue as much as it's a manufacturing issue with the tails. You could simply replace them with the SE/SEL taillights without the chrome strip.
That's true. But point is I shouldn't have to replace them myself just because ford refuse to accept that it's a problem with the manufacturer they used. Fact of the matter is domestic car companies lack in taking responsibility for their faults. They can't even step their game up with the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty that foreign companies offer. First impressions are everlasting, and my altima stuck with me :D

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
That 100,000 mile warranty isn't as all inclusive as you think. I'm not defending the actions of a lackluster supplier and lackluster OEM support that should have been had years before now on that particular product defect, but you have a strictly cosmetic issue on a five year old car. Few automakers are going to lift a finger (and probably the middle one if any) to help.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very true. For a small fortune you invest in a hunk of metal though you would think there was definitely better support for things that are their fault

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Very true. For a small fortune you invest in a hunk of metal though you would think there was definitely better support for things that are their fault

I'll show myself out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts