Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed the retaining bolt and bracket. Just can't seem to pull the stupid thing out. Is there any trick to it? This is on a 98 3.0 OHV with AX4N. I can grab a hold of it from the top but it don't seem to want to give at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on now... I know someone has a trick to this. Is there a tool I could slip over it to pull it out? The transmission shop wants $60 to pull it out. Surely if they have a tool it wouldn't cost anymore then $60. Plus that would give me a reason to add something to my collection.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
There are no tools that I know of to remove the VSS. I did one on a friends 98 Vulcan Taurus a year or 2 ago and it was a royal pain in the ass. The damn sensor would not come out after I removed the bolt and I ended up snapping off the plastic top part trying to wiggle it out. I sprayed with with penetrating lube and let it sit over night, I later tried vice grips, a slide hammer (which just pulled it apart even more) and eventually screwed a huge easy out into it to try and get it out, NOTHING got this son of a bitch to move, even a bit. For the first time I gave up and drove it to a Ford dealer. $150 later the sensor was out and a new one was in.

I asked them what they did and they said it was a huge pain in the ass, the tech said he eventually heated the surrounding area up with a torch and was able to twist it free.

·
Registered
27 Posts
DON'T SPRAY IT WITH LUBE! The sensor goes right in to the transmission and the tranny fluid, you do NOT want to get anything in there!

In my 95 I pulled out the wires and speedometer cable and twisted it, and kept twisting it. Back and forth, and it finally came out. Pulled out one at a junk yard the same way, only that was in 35 degree temperatures. Yup, it sucked, but it will come out by hand.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Have a friend rock the car back and forth as you try to take it out.

Sounds like it might work doesn't it.

Thats all I got

Mike
:dunno:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Spray penetrating fluid around the sensor and let it soak. Corrosion tends to form between the sensor and the tranny housing which makes it stick in there on the o-ring. I've often had to use a small prybar or chisel and hammer to tap it out - just be careful not to break too much of it off that you end up with nothing left to work on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We took it to the tranny shop and they took it out and put the new one in for $60. Think I could make a tool to do that. But then... how often would I use it??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
KsTaurus
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing