Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my right hand side strut/shock without a problem.

On the left I removed the stabilizer link, ball joint nut, nut holding the strut onto the steering knuckle, brakes etc. When I knock the strut down off the steering knuckle the control arm where it goes to the subframe on the front of the car bottoms out and hits the subframe and won't let the control arm go any farther down so I can't get it down enough to slide the shock off. I tried removing the rear bolt on the control arm but that only helped a little. I can't get the bolt slide out on the front part of the control arm (it hits the engine)......

I think something is bent somewhere? Subframe? Subframe bushings? Bent control arm? I'm I missing something?

Thanks

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
It's not easy but it does come out. If you can twist and force down the spindle- once you get the spindle down as far as you can pull the top away from the car and the strut will roll out of place.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
it will come out with some elbow grease. in reality you should lower the sub frame to get the clearance.
pry the lca down. pull the spindle forward. at this point it should be almost out. then pry up on the strut a little to gain the extra clearance. it will pop out so be careful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why did the right side come out no problem but the left side is a hard time? Thats why I am thinking the geometry is off.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
What i have wanted to try is to take off the tire and let the car down
so the suspension compresses on a jack stand, cement block or such.
Then using two ratchet straps to keep the spring compressed some.

then jack the car back up and there should be more room to play
with the spring compressed. I tried before to get a spring compressor
into the front shock tower of my gen3 but ran into clearance issues.

since the spring is still in the strut, even if your ratchet straps let
go, the spring will not fly out and be contained within the strut
mounts

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
What i have wanted to try is to take off the tire and let the car down
so the suspension compresses on a jack stand, cement block or such.
Then using two ratchet straps to keep the spring compressed some.

then jack the car back up and there should be more room to play
with the spring compressed. I tried before to get a spring compressor
into the front shock tower of my gen3 but ran into clearance issues.

since the spring is still in the strut, even if your ratchet straps let
go, the spring will not fly out and be contained within the strut
mounts
NO matter how much you compress the spring, the strut will still be fully extended.

Loosen the control arm to frame bolts, and remove one of them. Then use a long bar or pipe to deflect the LCA down and release the strut.

Just my experience.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
NO matter how much you compress the spring, the strut will still be fully extended.

Loosen the control arm to frame bolts, and remove one of them. Then use a long bar or pipe to deflect the LCA down and release the strut.

Just my experience.

-chart-
Your right, it will stay extended. But you won't be fighting 300LB of spring force (or what ever the spring rate is) trying to push it up.
I am going to try it at some point in time. I have a front strut change out
in my near future...

·
Registered
405 Posts
build one of these:

or pay $105 @ amazon
Amazon.com: Ford Strut Removal Tool: Automotive

or do what many do - lower the subframe an inch or two.

I tried ratchet straps on the spring - the ones I had weren't stong enough, much easier lowering the subframe (to me at least), I was able to get them out w/o the subframe being lowered - but I put KYB's in and they seem a bit longer especially with the new springs.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
build one of these:
Strut Removal Tool.avi - YouTube

or pay $105 @ amazon
Amazon.com: Ford Strut Removal Tool: Automotive

or do what many do - lower the subframe an inch or two.

I tried ratchet straps on the spring - the ones I had weren't stong enough, much easier lowering the subframe (to me at least), I was able to get them out w/o the subframe being lowered - but I put KYB's in and they seem a bit longer especially with the new springs.
thanks for the tool find. this is sweet. i will be adding it to my box!:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
i took a long thin hack saw and cut the front bolt out of the lower control arm from the top, and put the new bolt going in from the bottom instead of the top this next time when you have to take the lca off it will be easy. i wonder why ford did not do it this way from the start...

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
i took a long thin hack saw and cut the front bolt out of the lower control arm from the top, and put the new bolt going in from the bottom instead of the top this next time when you have to take the lca off it will be easy. i wonder why ford did not do it this way from the start...
" i wonder why ford did not do it this way"

Ford and all auto makers do the way it makes sense in assembly. Least labor, best cost, best consumer price, day one.

Example: the spring hose clamps. They buy the hose with the clamp already on, but held open with a "keeper". Popping the keeper off saves time vs tightening the worm drive. Also near fool proof. (for them)

'special tools required'.

But there must be a reason for using bolts that are way too long for their use. Soooo many questions, so few answers.:lol2:

Oh well, have a nice weekend.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I just use a chisel or a large screwdriver as a wedge to spread the knuckle at the bottom SLIGHTLY and a squirt of PB and the strut base comes right out. Haven't a need for a tool yet.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The tool is already out there. Made by OTC. Here's the link

OTC strut tool for TAurus

It's basically a large pry bar that forces the strut up instead of trying to force the control arm down. It actually compresses the coil spring a bit. Pops it right out. Getting it back in isn't quite as easy, but it does work.

I own one and used it on all the family Tauri. Now we all own other vehicles. Anyone want to buy a used tool?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have done several without problem, but on my 97 the right was a SOB. I resorted to using a spring compressor with with 3/4" pipe on the bolts for spacers. had it off several times the car came with some issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts