Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2001 Ford Taurus SES. Has anti theft feature. So I've had this car for less than 6 months and at first it was great. About a month and a half ago started having issues where it would intermittently have issues starting. Well finally it it wouldn't start. I would go to start and all the lights on dash and everything would go out and not start. So I replaced the ignition switch sept 9th. Didn't take long and car was up and running again. Less than a month from changing it, it starts this problem all over again. So ford authorized shop and I came to conclusion that must be ignition cylinder now. So they changed ignition cylinder last week and then call me and tell me still not starting and pretty sure it's a faulty ignition switch and warranty out the one I did and got it up and running Tuesday 10/8/19. This morning 10/10/19 issue has happened all over again. I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't have money to keep throwing at it with a baby due in December. Anyone go through something like this or have anything I can try or test or anything? I am really at a loss right now.

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
I would be looking at battery cables (both ends) and major grounds. Dont discount a bad battery with an intermittent internal open circuit. Seen that more than once. Battery age doesnt matter. Years ago I had a 3 day old Diehard fail due to an internal open circuit, and battery quality has declined significantly since then.

IMO, there is absolutely no way the lock cylinder will cause your issue. Find a mechanic who knows how to troubleshoot and not just throw random parts at the problem hoping to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be looking at battery cables (both ends) and major grounds. Dont discount a bad battery with an intermittent internal open circuit. Seen that more than once. Battery age doesnt matter. Years ago I had a 3 day old Diehard fail due to an internal open circuit, and battery quality has declined significantly since then.

IMO, there is absolutely no way the lock cylinder will cause your issue. Find a mechanic who knows how to troubleshoot and not just throw random parts at the problem hoping to fix it.
Well the crap thing about it is I took it to a ford authorized shop/dealer hoping to get answers/repairs and avoid just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just what do you mean all power goes out. Lights,radio just dead and comes on when you release the key?
I mean when the key fob works and dome and dash lights when open door, everything goes off completely other then theft light that flashes like normal. Key turns but doesn't start car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like a battery issue to me also. Most auto parts stores will load check them for free, that is where I would start.

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
Problem is with an intermittent open, the batt might test good one minute and be dead the next.

If it were my car, I would go ahead and replace the battery, especially if it was 2 or more years old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So battery cables were completely crap. And seems to be running now. However seems like we are having to reprogram things like key fob. Now pretty sure have to do something with seatbelt indicator and door dinging with keys out and lights off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Might I just add in that, for us novice mechanics that usually resort to throwing parts at a problem, YouTube and car junk yards like "Pick-n-Pull" are awesome.
Yes, you may be replacing a part again in a few years (you can get a 12mo warranty), but it makes a low cost way to throw parts at a problem.
I bought a 2000 ses 2 yrs ago broke down for $300.
First, needed new fuel pump and Brake Master Cylinder. $300 for both. 2 quick YouTube searches on how to do it and That made it good to go for about 20,000 mi.
Then starter went out.
$20 + $10 for an additional 12mo warranty on it.
Then a CEL lit (P0402) saying that a sensor for the EGR system is bad.
Right-o,
YouTube and $10 from junk yard.
I'm telling you. It's a great option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts