Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. The Ford Taurus. Arguably the most common vehicle on the road. Has common problems. EGR, tranny, brakes/rotors. I have been trying to find non-cheap-arse rotors and pads for the Taurus, an EGR valve and a DPFE sensor. Neither AutoZone, nor Western Auto, nor Advance Auto Parts have these pieces in stock. Special orders, they say. Could someone please explain to me why this is? Yes, I could "special order", the point is I think that is ridiculous for common problems on an extremely common car. I'm I just stuck in a dust storm on Mars, or has anyone else had this problem? [/rant]

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
well which answer do you want :)

before you go ranting, check the autozone website for the same part for another vehicle. in-store i'm sure they'd have to order certain things because you can only keep so much of a certain part on hand, esp if say one manufacturer decides to break the standard. if you can't find those parts for the taurus, i bet there's a bunch of cars that the part won't be available for.

second, the taurus may be one of a few exceptions...it's a very common car, but how many of those were originally bought by fleet companies as rentals and such, where they have their own mechanics and can order their own parts from the manufacturer without any problems

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So just look for the same part number under a different vehicle? Interesting thought, though from a database standpoint stock is not controlled based on vehicle but rather by the part number. So, if I check for a part on a 2000 Taurus and it says it is out of stock, its because the system has queried its stock database based on that part number. Make sense? I'll give it a try, though.

As far as Ford recommended replacements, the ones I have seen (rotors particularly come to mind) were not stock parts, they had to be ordered. They had the "Wearever gold, silver, etc" but not the recommended replacement parts, as indicated by their website.

I have gone in-store and on-line with the same results. I just find it odd, really. I just wondered if anyone else had the same issues.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I special order just about all of my parts. Partly because of my physical location, but also because know exaclty what I am getting. I like to order from Rock Auto and Ford Parts Network.

FWIW - all the aforementioned stores (AZ, Western Auto, Advance) tend to carry cheap, lower quality parts.

G

·
You should consider yourself lucky.. For SHO parts I wish I just had to special order them, they aren't even available!.. I have to go to Ford for everything, and even then it's still special order. :p

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Many many many many parts for the SHO have already been disconitnued. You can no longer buy SHO V8's...A/C parts aren't available for the older models, you can no longer even order the emblem that says S H O for the back of the car!!!!!!!! wtf ford!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts