Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
We've lost our master key and key fob. I'm defining key fob as the small thing with buttons for locking, trunk, and alarm. So we are down to just one master key (without a fob) and I have been researching all this, looking for a way to get a duplicate without going to the (st)ealer.

I found these instructions which I'm going to try. I've got an OBDII bluetooth dongle and laptop. I've ordered two blanks and two new fobs from ebay. I realize that I'll still need to get a locksmith to cut the blanks using our good key, but that's cheap. I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, I think the lost key is here around the house somewhere, but until it turns up, I'm nervous about just having one.

I'm happy to report that my first experience using FORscan to program two spare keys, using the instructions linked above, went well this morning. Programming the fobs per instructions at keylesscanada.com (seller of the key blanks and fobs I bought from ebay) also worked. I'm thrilled all of this was successful.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm Amazed, this post took on a life of its own - found the key!

It was in among my wife's jewelry!

I will get a spare made at Walmart or a good local locksmith who has done other good work for me.

Lots of useful information here.

And one question: Can you program keys with the regular downloadable version of Forscan which I have and works well?

Thank you so much for all the interest and help. John Kenneth

·
Registered
716 Posts
Dont use walmart keys, they are not chipped for our vehicles. You can get the key from the Ford dealer, or ebay, or amazon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In 2015 we received Grandma's 2000 Taurus and needed keys. My mechanic knew a local locksmith who came to the house and cut and programmed the new keys for us. If I recall correctly he did it for $50 per key, two for $75.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You could try here: https://replacemyremote.com/. I haven't had to use it yet, (knock on wood), but it seems my new-to-me acquisitions only ever come with one key. Very irritating. I thought I had another site bookmarked that did ECMs and keys for your vehicle. Type in the vin and they would give you some options. For the life of me now, I can't find that site.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
16 Participants
soulscourge
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing