2004 Taurus, we have lost the key.
What is the process to get a new key?
Is that a dealer only item?
About how much will it cost?
All help much appreciated, John Kenneth

·
Registered
716 Posts
10 years from model production. So the 04 production ended in 07, so in 2017 they would start phasing out the records.

You might try Ford, they may be able to get a VIN cut key. The biggest hurdle you will have is if the key had a chip in it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
10 years from model production. So the 04 production ended in 07, so in 2017 they would start phasing out the records.

You might try Ford, they may be able to get a VIN cut key. The biggest hurdle you will have is if the key had a chip in it.
I couldn't get keys cut for my 05 from my VIN at a Ford dealer in 2016. I only tried 2-3 dealers but I had no luck. But I wouldn't be surprised if this was more of a reflection about these dealers than actual policy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
^ on locksmith. Have three keys cut at this time as they have to be programmed in the vehicle. If you lose one and still have two, a new key can be programmed without special software yourself. If you only have one key, it's back to the dealer or locksmith again for programming.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I will let you know what I find out. I only got 1 key with my Mercury, and am having to get 2 more keys. Buddy works at the Ford Dealer, and see what he says.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I will let you know what I find out. I only got 1 key with my Mercury, and am having to get 2 more keys. Buddy works at the Ford Dealer, and see what he says.
If you have 1 key, the cheapest way is to get it from walmart.

Note that walmart will cut you a duplicate key not a Master key!

best.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Yah. PATS 2. Yer toast without a WDS programmer and they are getting hard to come by.

PATS 1 one could get away with just one key and program new ones. PATS 2, needs 2 keys to program any other keys.

No keys on a PATS 2? Maybe easiest is swap a computer, PATS module, and key cylinders from a junkyard car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I should have mentioned FORSCAN software with extended liscense and an ELM327 adapter for PATS programming, but I don't know what your technical level is. You still need keys cut by a locksmith.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Per the instructions I read from the Ford dealer, yes. You need 2 KEYFOBS to program an additional KEYFOB
Maybe a name "key fob".
You need only 1, 2,3,or 4 max. As long as you have a working "key" you make your car accept a fob or fobs.
Fobs and "keys" unrelated.

-chart-

·
Registered
716 Posts
I know they are unrelated, but its the only thing I can think to call these new keyless car FOBS. Car wont start with out it, and its still a FOB. So....

·
Registered
105 Posts
We've lost our master key and key fob. I'm defining key fob as the small thing with buttons for locking, trunk, and alarm. So we are down to just one master key (without a fob) and I have been researching all this, looking for a way to get a duplicate without going to the (st)ealer.

I found these instructions which I'm going to try. I've got an OBDII bluetooth dongle and laptop. I've ordered two blanks and two new fobs from ebay. I realize that I'll still need to get a locksmith to cut the blanks using our good key, but that's cheap. I'll let you know how it goes.

By the way, I think the lost key is here around the house somewhere, but until it turns up, I'm nervous about just having one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
this is sort of off topic. i have an '04 n i had a partially broken clicker. i was at davies ford in charleroi, pennsylvania. the parts shop had a knock off cover or case to put over the original clicker guts. man, now the trunk pops open all the dern time and one time up there i had an inch and a half of snow in the trunk.
guess i am saying, it might be a risk to get a clicker. i have taken mine off and just rough it with keys.
i know that doesn't really tell you about the key issue.
other than this clicker case spaz, davies ford was super awesome and they would tell you what to do, i reckon.
Service: 877-473-5370 tell em the guy with the economy stiller gold taurus sent ya! :)

good luck. :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
You can get the cases for them from the dealer, or from AutoZone. I have done this on a my Pontiac.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts