Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an alternator with a bad bearing and I replaced it. Also replace my power steering pump. While doing this I found out that my belt tensioner was shot(Would not spring back). So I also replaced the tensioner and Idler Pulley and installed a Goodyear Gatorback. When I run my car I get a settle squeal. It gets louder if I turn on the AC, turn the steering wheel, or accelerate(when I car shifts into 3rd you can't hear the squeal anymore). I have a 1994 Ford Taurus 3.0 OHV. Its driving me nuts... :dunno:

Thanks David

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Perhaps the new belt is a little bit too long and is slipping.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Sound like the new tensioner dosen't have enough tension on the belt, or the new belt is too long. Have you ruled out the water pump? Somtimes the bearings on water pumps can make noise on their way out, putting more load on the belt (a/c, power steering) can amplify accessory bearing noises, just like having too much belt tension can cause noise, too. Check the water pump pulley for movement.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at my belt tensioner and noticed it wiggled quite a bit. Is that normal? :blink: I got a GATES Belt tensioner. Is that a good brand. What would you guys recommend for a tensioner? The Goodyear website said my belt is 85 inches with AC. I lined it up with my old belt and it matched up exactly. I also checked to see if I routed the belt right and it looks like I did. The water pump pulley seemed fine.

Thanks David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts