Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I searched the site and read many posts including the scanner post and followed some of those links. I bought the Innova reader but does not work on a 3.8...only lists the 3.0 and it is true the engine running test will not work. Key off it reads 624 which is wiring or solenoid on the trans.

Anyone know where I can get a obd1 reader for a 3.8? I need the trans shop be able to read running codes and they do not have a reader either. Is there a obd11 with the adapter that will work with this engine?

Regards

Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,903 Posts
Do it the old fashioned way..... jumper the correct terminals on the EEC TEST connector and count the CEL flashes. There are instructions on how to do this all over the web if you dont know how to use this method. I have been using the "count the CEL flashes" method on my 95 Taurus Vulcan, 86 Tbird 5.0 V8 and 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe 2.3 L Turbo with great success for decades.

·
Registered
1998 Taurus SE Sedan 3.0L24V AX4N 91Kmi
20 Posts
OBD1 was a rare GM protocol - these are EEC-IV, which does NOT work well with any scantool. They often display spurious codes, so never use one. This page contains the Ford instructions for using a jumper wire, which is the best way to get EEC-IV codes:

(click this text)

Reactions: sheila
1 - 3 of 3 Posts