Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem with 1999 taurus I crank it it runs about 10 minutes then it loses all power.I can stop and put it in gear then it will run good for a few more minutes please help will take any suggestions as I am going crazy trying diagnose this problem lol

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
^^^^^ +1

Even if the CEL isnt on, there may be pending codes present.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you getting any codes??
I haven't tried a ob2 scanner yet. I can't drive it to the parts store for them to check it. it is too far and was not sure if the 20 dollar one from walmart would work well enough. Will be ordering one soon so I will check for codes then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a problem with 1999 taurus I crank it it runs about 10 minutes then it loses all power.I can stop and put it in gear then it will run good for a few more minutes please help will take any suggestions as I am going crazy trying diagnose this problem lol
I can't say this is your problem, but I had a similar problem with a 94 Taurus. The first time it lost all power (died), was at a red light on State Street in SLC during rush hour. Hell of a thrill. I had to replace the fuel pump. It could also be the fuel filter. It never threw any codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  1. Okay all I have test
  2. Got a problem with 1999 taurus I crank it it runs about 10 minutes then it loses all power.I can stop and put it in gear then it will run good for a few more minutes
[
I haven't tried a ob2 scanner yet. I can't drive it to the parts store for them to check it. it is too far and was not sure if the 20 dollar one from walmart would work well enough. Will be ordering one soon so I will check for codes then.
Okay so I got a scanner and ran it with code p1131 something about the o2 sensor I guess...i am digging further into this and checked for vacuum leaks...so then I took the intake plenum off and valve covers and pulled the fuel pump relay started the car and watched the valves... And to me they are rocking at the wrong times... The front ones are rocking on the right poistons but the back are rocking two and two together... Does anyone have a video or know how the rockers are supposed to rock?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very unlikely that your valve timing changed by itself!
More likely fuel pump/filter or crank sensor. Check fuel pressure to confirm.
Had to replace both of those items on my 99 when it reached 75K.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Front and back valve timing is driven off the camshaft and it can't change relative to each other since that is the lobs on the camshaft and they can't change. Timing could only change relative to the crankshaft position by either being advance or retarded.

Have you had a bad miss fire which could have plug the catalytic converter ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very unlikely that your valve timing changed by itself!
More likely fuel pump/filter or crank sensor. Check fuel pressure to confirm.
Had to replace both of those items on my 99 when it reached 75K.
Checked the fuel pressure and even took it out while it was cutting out and no loss of fuel pressure ... Could be a sensor but never got a codejust o2 sensor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front and back valve timing is driven off the camshaft and it can't change relative to each other since that is the lobs on the camshaft and they can't change. Timing could only change relative to the crankshaft position by either being advance or retarded.

Have you had a bad miss fire which could have plug the catalytic converter ?
Yes when I would drive it and once the engine got hot it would almost stall just like it wasn't getting fuel but checked fuel pressure and it was good so figured it was missfiring but wasn't throwing misfire codes... Checked all plugs and wires and coil pack they seem to be fine

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
^^^^ +1

Even hard to see hairline cracks anywhere on the coil pack will cause issues. If it were me, I would go ahead and replace the coil pack. Use ONLY the Motorcraft od BWD coil pack!! No cheap junk from the discount parts store.

How did you check the plug wires? Look at them? Check their resistance?

I have seen plugs with almost impossible to see carbon tracking on the insulators cause missfires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts