Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a coolant leak on the water pump side of the engine. I'm having a tough time tracking it. I changed the water pump... the old one was worn out but that didn't fix the leak. It looks like it's coming from above the water pump. My guess is timing cover or head gasket. But my question... can a head gasket on a taurus (98 3.0 Vulcan) leak out of the engine?

To me it looks like there are holes near the edges of the head so I would think it could leak coolant out of the engine at the corners. But I don't know. Here is the pic of the gasket:

Also, by looking at the picture of this gasket it looks like the head gasket could be shot without loosing cylinder compression... no?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
What did/does your coolant look like? If its brown (or at least no longer green) then I'd be much more inclined to think its a freeze plug, and if thats the case it probably wont be the last one to go. When your coolant gets ignored for a long period of time, this kind of things starts to go wrong...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The coolant was as green as can be

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turned out to be the timing cover gasket (leaking at the top of it on the firewall side of the cover).

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
hi,

the intake manifold gaskets also have water passageways.
they are on the left rear and the right front of the intake manifold
and mate up to the cylinder head water passages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts