Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought 2005 SE Vulcan 3 years ago @90k miles, I did transmission oil change. I suppose it was the first oil change for the car. I found something that resembles a small steel wool except that the metal was aluminum and the coil was not as closely entangled. I regret I didn't take a picture then. Can anyone explain how it got in there?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The only thing I can think of is a chunk of the filter. There may also be a magnet in there to catch metal fillings. A 'soft fuzzy like hair' on the magnet isn't bad, but bigger shards are a problem. If you don't have a magnet in there you can stick one in there. Use a very strong one, not a fridge magnet.

·
Registered
955 Posts
can you be a bit more specific? where was this 'steel wool'? '

Was it in the bottom of the pan?

Was it around the magnet in the bottom of the pan?

Was it still dangling when you removed the pan?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It didn't adhere to the magnet. (Magnet was there.)
It was at the bottom of the oil pan.
If anyone has used lathe before, it looked exactly like what you would get from turning aluminum on a lathe. The strand was entangled just like steel wool except that the strand was thicker and entanglement was looser.

I have used the car 25k miles since I found it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It didn't adhere to the magnet. (Magnet was there.)
It was at the bottom of the oil pan.
If anyone has used lathe before, it looked exactly like what you would get from turning aluminum on a lathe. The strand was entangled just like steel wool except that the strand was thicker and entanglement was looser.

I have used the car 25k miles since I found it.

From my lack of knowledge about the Ford Transmission I recall that most of the parts in there are aluminum. So, process of elimination says that this is wear and tear that has resulted in a neglected transmission.

As posted before, some metal shavings in the pan are normal. The best transmission oil and maintenance schedule cannot prevent against friction causing some shavings to break off. However, if you have a cluster that is PURE aluminum (no filter visible) then I would say that transmission is hurting bad.

I for one have a 150,000 mile transmission that I just flushed and looked fine. It runs fine as well. I guess only you can tell if the transmission feels good or not. If it does, don't worry about it now. Nothing can really be done if those shavings are that bad - short of a rebuild or replacement.

In short, if it's running smooth and it ain't broke, don't mess/fix it :)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I found it in the transmission pan, I thought the car would drop dead at any time. The car ran 25K+ miles so far.

I have 4 Taurus in my family - not because I loved Taurus or Ford but because I didn't want to read 4 different manuals. This transmission doesn't run any different from the other 3. I am just puzzled.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would guess if it looks like it's from a lathe it probably is and was left in there from the original machining.

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
^^^^ +2

Sounds like left overs from a machining process.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Drilling and Tapping won't leave long continuous thick chunks of aluminum.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
No, but boring 2"-6" holes for bearings,etc will.

Of course. But I was responding to this comment. I've been around machining before and know this which is why I said tapping for the pan bolt doesn't leave large squiggly lengths of aluminum.

Just a longshot 'guess' Perhaps someone drilled and tapped stripped pan bolt threads and some got into the pan somehow??

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Of course. But I was responding to this comment. I've been around machining before and know this which is why I said tapping for the pan bolt doesn't leave large squiggly lengths of aluminum.
Oops, I missed that post because the thread went to 2 pages...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts