Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always do my own oil changes on my duratecs.

I have 2 quarts of regular dino oil (5w-30) left over and am now planning to use semi-synthetic 5w-30.

Can the 2 be mixed since they're the same weight or might there be a problem?? :)

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Go for it! Synthetic blend may be as high as 50/50 or contain as little as 5% synthetic. Afaik, there are no set or stringent standards. The blend is a dino/syn. blend. Prob. very little syn. to start with.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
What do you think semi synthetic is?

I wouldn't waste my money with a semi-synthetic unless it is the Motorcraft stuff, which is a great price.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got alot of citgo semi synthetic for a buc a quart, couldn't pass it up.

And Kahn, Ive been changing oil before you were born. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Mixing it doesn't matter Gerry...toss it in :)

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
$1/qt.?!?! Sell me some lol! I used to score syn-blend trop-arctic 10/30 for $1/qt. at dollartree, deals and big lots years ago before gas and oil prices jumped so much.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Semi-synthetic is kind of misleading. It gives buyers the impression its 50/50. I doubt seriously it actually is. The vague syn-blend description is prob. more accurate. Has some syn., but its a mystery as to how much.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Got alot of citgo semi synthetic for a buc a quart, couldn't pass it up.

And Kahn, Ive been changing oil before you were born. :lol2:
And what do you know about when I was born, Have you been spelling that long too?

An oil only performs as well as its base stock. A semi-syntheitc compromises, so it lasts no longer than a conventional oil, but does have better lubrication. But usually the price tag is too high to justify the minor benefits, and because it doesn't allow for extended oil change intervals, if you pay too much for it, it ends up just wasting money. But it it can be had for around the same price as conventional oil, it can be worth it. I like buying the 5 quart jugs of Motorcraft, because its about the same price as the generic oil at Autozone, but it is a far superior oil pretty much anything in its price class.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts