Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in the dash vehicle settings that I have the options for window roll down and remote start. However, when I bought the Limited Edition, I was not given any key fobs like these:

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/locks-and-security/how-to-program-your-intelligent-access-key.html

I have two keys (Admin Keys) with the basic four buttons (unlock, lock, trunk (2x), and Panic) with the chip key built in.

I have to physically insert the key and turn, I do NOT have the Start/Stop push button.

Can I still buy an intelligent key fob and use it to start the car and roll down the windows? Or do these features only work with the Start/Stop push button vehicles?

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Separate batch of electronics that needs to be ordered, installed, and configured, along with as-built data changes in the vehicle modules that will remain.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
AKA YES you can but its expensive and difficult because you have to add a lot of stuff.

The cars with IA have several little antennas in the doors and other areas of the car to detect the key as well.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I believe push button start was an option package on the limited, I think it was standard on the SHO models. So if you don't have the option package, then you don't have that feature and it will take a lot more than fobs to get it. Run your vin through this site, should tell you what package you have, in this one, it has the option package for push button start.

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FAHP2F84DG131281

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe push button start was an option package on the limited, I think it was standard on the SHO models. So if you don't have the option package, then you don't have that feature and it will take a lot more than fobs to get it. Run your vin through this site, should tell you what package you have, in this one, it has the option package for push button start.

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FAHP2F84DG131281

henrysel,
Thank you for that site. I plugged in my VIN and got the following link: http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FAHP2F88DG204135

The difference between your link & mine is a great deal, but the biggest thing I see in the Push Button Start/Stop. I'm guessing this feature set is needed for the remote start and remote window up/down.

Can anyone confirm this fact?

·
Registered
230 Posts
henrysel,
Thank you for that site. I plugged in my VIN and got the following link: http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FAHP2F88DG204135

The difference between your link & mine is a great deal, but the biggest thing I see in the Push Button Start/Stop. I'm guessing this feature set is needed for the remote start and remote window up/down.

Can anyone confirm this fact?
'
Your car already has remote start. As I stated above you have the wrong IKTs for your vehicle. You need 5 button IKTs which have the remote start button on them. To see if your global window opening works, lock the vehicle...let it sit for a minute, press and hold unlock for 5 seconds and see if the front windows roll down. It has nothing to do with the IA versus IKT. BTW no Taurus has global closing windows.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Remote start is listed as a standard option in your sticker.

My Mercedes has one button open/close, never really use it much. it uses the IR sensor on the door handle and the recirc button to open/close all the windows/sunroof at once. It's called Summer convenience open/close. There doesn't seem to be that many limited models out there that are fully loaded, the ones that have everything tend to be the SHO models. Too bad the HID lights are only on the SHO.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
'
Your car already has remote start. As I stated above you have the wrong IKTs for your vehicle. You need 5 button IKTs which have the remote start button on them. To see if your global window opening works, lock the vehicle...let it sit for a minute, press and hold unlock for 5 seconds and see if the front windows roll down. It has nothing to do with the IA versus IKT. BTW no Taurus has global closing windows.

jmr061,
Thanks for the tip. I tested the global window opening feature, which I never even knew I had, just now. Having the windows roll down will at least help a bit here in Florida.

Now onto the part that has me a little confused. It seems that there are two different key fob types:
1) 5-button IAK's (Intelligent Access Key) seen here: 2013 Ford Taurus Key Remote Keyless Entry - Smart key w/ remote start, power back door - refurbished
2) 5 button IKT's (Integrated Keyhead Transmitter) seen here: http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2013-ford-taurus-remote-key-2.html

I have the center console IAK access area (see video below) so can I order either one and program them? Or will the IAK not work/have starting issues since I do not have the push button start/stop?

My assumption is that even with the remote start capability on the IAK, I woud have to have the key in the ignition to actually drive off, which would make having the IAK pointless. Is this assumption correct?

I apologize if these questions seems ignorant, but this is my first Taurus with this kind of system. The car was a fleet, so I bet the fleet just got rid of the IAK/IKT with the remote start option if the dealership gave them to the fleet to begin with.

EDIT: Adding this YouTube video here showing how to test/start a Ford Taurus/Lincoln MKS when the battery in the keyfob is dead or dying:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The vehicle is not equipped or programmed to handle Intelligent Access FOBS.

You MUST use IKTs.
Thank you Jason! I'll get one of the 5 button keys on order. Does anyone know if any old key cutting place can cut these keys? I know places like Ace can do house keys. There shouldn't be anything special with this right?

I was just quoted $100 from a guy to cut & program. He even said that cutting would cost $15. I told him that I could program since the procedure is known and he just scoffed and said 'good luck, you can try' :|

EDIT: local stealership wants $170 for the key and an additional $70 to program! Good Lord!

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
If you have two working turning keys that can start the car you can program the car yourself. Tell the guy to shove it and have someone else cut the key for you. What an ass wipe. The key itself is expensive though. Be careful if you decide to order off of ebay. Be sure you get a genuine key.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
My assumption is that even with the remote start capability on the IAK, I woud have to have the key in the ignition to actually drive off, which would make having the IAK pointless. Is this assumption correct?
Yes.

When you get in your car during a remote start cycle, it will do nothing but idle and warm/cool the car until you put your key in to Run. It will even prompt you in the dash to do so.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My concern with having two of the "wrong" keys (ie not remote start) there is the possibility there are now 4 keys programmed to the car which is the max without dealer intervention. There is no way to tell without going to the dealer or trying to program another key and see if it accepts it. I have some refurb keys if you want to email me direct: [email protected]

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My concern with having two of the "wrong" keys (ie not remote start) there is the possibility there are now 4 keys programmed to the car which is the max without dealer intervention. There is no way to tell without going to the dealer or trying to program another key and see if it accepts it. I have some refurb keys if you want to email me direct: [email protected]
Jason,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the information side of the cluster, under MyKeys it tells you how many keys there are programmed and what type of keys they are (Admin or other). In my case, my car has 2 keys registered, 2 Admin keys which I assume to be the two that I have currently in my possession.

This is my assumption only though. Can someone correct/validate this theory?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes.

When you get in your car during a remote start cycle, it will do nothing but idle and warm/cool the car until you put your key in to Run. It will even prompt you in the dash to do so.

Idling and setting the A/C to ON/LO is all that I am looking for in the hot Florida weather.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have two working turning keys that can start the car you can program the car yourself. Tell the guy to shove it and have someone else cut the key for you. What an ass wipe. The key itself is expensive though. Be careful if you decide to order off of ebay. Be sure you get a genuine key.
my sentiments exactly. This is the exact key that I'm looking to purchase: http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2013-ford-taurus-remote-key-2.html. They offer a 90 day return policy. Also, I found a guy at a local Ace Hardware that will cut it for free. He said since I'm buying it myself and they have no way to 100% guarantee their process, that I'm the one risking. They key itself is really no different than any other key cutting process. All of them, even locksmiths, just use a machine to trace and cut, so what's really the difference?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Jason,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the information side of the cluster, under MyKeys it tells you how many keys there are programmed and what type of keys they are (Admin or other). In my case, my car has 2 keys registered, 2 Admin keys which I assume to be the two that I have currently in my possession.

This is my assumption only though. Can someone correct/validate this theory?
I would check mine but I got rid of my Taurus. Best case you try and it programs, worse case it doesn't and you have to have a dealer do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts