Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 taurus vulcan engine Vin'U'

Can i use synthetic oil in my 98 Vulcan engine? Is it safe for all seals, gaskets?
I can't find some official confirm information. I got the used car with 65K miles, the previous owner always use ordinary oil. I change to Castrol sync blend oil, now it has 74K miles, everything ok, I want to use synthetic oil such as mobil1's, but i'm afraid of leaking, especially inside of the engine.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes, you can and, in my opinion, should. Synthetic performs much better in both extreme cold and extreme heat conditions. There is no problem in changing from conventional to synthetic. I've run Mobil 1 5w-30 in both Vulcan Tauruss that I've owned (98 and now an 01) and feel confident with a 5,000 mile change interval as opposed to a 3,000 mile interval with conventional...Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I have a 99 with the duratec engine, unlike your vulcan engine. I bought the car at 40k, and switched over to fully synthetic at the first oil change. I now have over 100k on the motor, and a very small oil leak which usually amounts to being about a half quart low after 4000 miles of driving. Pretty good for a motor with over a 100k in my opinion. Also, this is my routine. I get the oil changed, drive for 4000 miles, then I get just my filter changed, dirve for another 4000 miles, then I get the oil changed again. Synthetic oil holds much more carbon deposits without breaking down, if only they made a bigger filter to hold more gunk.

·
Registered
359 Posts
There have been murmurings about synthetic oils causing leaks if you have an older vehicle that has been using regular oil up till now. There are serveral threads discussing this around. I can't say one way or the other- never tried it. Might not hurt to read up on some of those other threads and make your own decision on it, though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
NOPE!!! It's ALL B.S. Never seen such a thing happen on my 12 yrs. as a Ford Dealer Service Tech. Just don't over fill!!!!!! & be sure PCV system is good!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 15 2004, 01:14 PM
How does one change the filter without changing the oil? Doesn't it leak out everywhere?

JR
No, oil has to be pumped to the filter, so you won't lose any more than you would removing the filter after draining the oil pan first. It's just the oil that stays in the filter when you shut off the engine.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 15 2004, 11:14 AM
How does one change the filter without changing the oil?  Doesn't it leak out everywhere?

JR
Nope. The oil sits in the pan when the engine is off, and the oil filter is mounted on the side of the block. I routinely change the oil filter without changing the oil as I use Royal Purple oil that only needs to be changed every 15K miles.

EDIT: and yes, an FL1A will fit, as long as it has clearance around it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 15 2004, 12:14 PM
How does one change the filter without changing the oil? Doesn't it leak out everywhere?

JR
Easy, make sure the engine is not running when you remove the filter! :D

Most you'll lose is however much is in the filter.

Never experienced an oil leak by switching types, brands or weight.

My two 4.6 engines have over 83k miles and use no oil between changes at 3k miles. Mobil 1 0w-30 when I can find it, otherwise 5w-30.

Seriously, regardless of what type of oil you use, change it and the filter at regular intervals and everything should be alright.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all.
I still can't make decision about this, I'll keep using the blend oil untill reading some official confirm information.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I say synthetic. Since I got my car in January, I've used only synethetic. I noticed gas milage went up from the first oil change. And then there's the nitpicky stuff like the oil being cleaner after 3000 miles so I've started to go about 4000 before changing. Also, I believe this is all personal preference. Synthetic won't make the engine work as hard as a normal oil would. But each to his own.

G

·
My 01 Vulcan gets nothing but Valvoline Synthetic (started it at 20k miles), never had a problem... runs really nice with synthetic. I'm at 56k miles.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Personally, in my 98' Sable, I use Valvoline Durablend 5w-30. Since tthe car has 80K on it, I'm somewhat hesitant to use a full synthetic, but the next time I change my oil, 600 miles, which will be the last time I have to change it until March or April (I don't drive much), I'm going to try Mobil 1. It might cost a little more, but I'm going to see how well it works. I might also try a K&N oil filter. What is the lifespan of the K&N's?

JR

G

·
Originally posted by godspunk32@Oct 16 2004, 10:32 AM
Personally, in my 98' Sable, I use Valvoline Durablend 5w-30. Since tthe car has 80K on it, I'm somewhat hesitant to use a full synthetic, but the next time I change my oil, 600 miles, which will be the last time I have to change it until March or April (I don't drive much), I'm going to try Mobil 1. It might cost a little more, but I'm going to see how well it works. I might also try a K&N oil filter. What is the lifespan of the K&N's?

JR
Don't forget, they recommend changing oil every 3 months. I put miles on so fast it doesn't matter. But, I'm not sure what time intervals they recommend for synthetics or how long you can wait before it's actually a problem...

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Synthetics are better than dino oils in everything except price. They are more expensive but last longer. Change the oil at 7500 to 10k depending on your driving style. Change the filter at 5k. Use the larger FL1A size filter.

Wal-Mart synthetic is probably the best buy. Their synthetic ATX is very similar to Amsoil Universal ATX fluid.

I usually change my synthetic oil once a year or at 10k miles.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
It is recommended to change Dino oil every 3 months because the oil breaks down and naturally loses viscosity, whether the car is run or not. Synthetic oil doesn't break down with age and therefore doesn't have a time interval for an oil change.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts