Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm looking at a beautiful 2004 Sable. (Red, with just 41K miles! One owner!)
I believe these models, if they had a CD player, had it in the trunk.
Both this one, and the 1999 Sable I loved for many years had a CD button on the radio, but no actual CD Player.
Years ago, I'd asked about getting the CD changer for my 1999 LS, and I was told it wasn't/wouldn't be available, and that a unit from a junked car wouldn't work because it would be too old.
Is this true?
and a related question - any way to get satellite radio to work with it?

I'm in no position to do the work myself - I would pay someone to do it - but I don't even know where to start.

I did find this item online:
but it says it fits into the center console. What does that mean? The box between the two front seats? And it gets wired into the radio?
I don't usually admit to being a dumb female, but when it comes to car electronics, I absolutely am!
So I would appreciate any input.
Thank you.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My '04 Sable LS has a 5-disk CD changer in the center console (between the seats). It uses a removable cartridge to load the CD's. It has the Mach amp in the trunk and tweeters in the front doors. I believe there was a premium JBL system that may have had the changer in the trunk but not sure. If you want satellite radio and CD player then you're probably better off and money ahead to just get an aftermarket radio installed. I did that on my son's '03 Taurus SES and was pretty easy. If you're wanting to stay OEM style then get ahold of member durasel on this forum as he's usually got a good inventory of what you need.

Reactions: sheila

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,402 Posts
If you're kind of handy, you can find one the same year as yours (or any Gen 4 will work) at your local yard. Have whoever you want get the unit and possibly the interior of the console along with the changer , they just plug into the lead that you will find in your console. All editions had the wiring already there . You can also scour for more 6 disc changer cassettes in different vehicles, I got two additional ones for mine that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts