Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I have a head unit, say an Alpine 9835 (50 x 4),

Can I bridge and make it a 100 x 2? (I realize this is peak, not RMS. RMS on this is probably more like 17 x 4, so can I make it 38 x 2?)

If I can, how good would this sound with two Infinity Kappa 5 x7's (rated at 100 watts).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
I don't believe theres a way, unless stated in your instruction manual, i'd have to say no.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'd say it's probably not a good idea. Where bridging a standard amplifier would be fine, changing the resistance loads on a head unit's amplifier might cause problems. Maybe there would be no problems at first, but after awhile, since that amp is generally built to use a standard ohm rating, if you change that up too much, you might risk blowing the amp.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jul 31 2004, 11:18 AM
I'd say it's probably not a good idea. Where bridging a standard amplifier would be fine, changing the resistance loads on a head unit's amplifier might cause problems. Maybe there would be no problems at first, but after awhile, since that amp is generally built to use a standard ohm rating, if you change that up too much, you might risk blowing the amp.

JR
yup, and if it does work.. and doesn't fry the amp.. it'll most likely have over heating problems...

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by bk1@Jul 31 2004, 12:54 AM
If I have a head unit, say an Alpine 9835 (50 x 4),

Can I bridge and make it a 100 x 2? (I realize this is peak, not RMS. RMS on this is probably more like 17 x 4, so can I make it 38 x 2?)

If I can, how good would this sound with two Infinity Kappa 5 x7's (rated at 100 watts).

Thanks!
The 9835, as well as several of Alpine's other higher end units, have the V-drive internal amp. This is actually rated at 60w x4 (max) and 26x4 (rms). Although it doesn't seem like much of a jump, those few extra watts make a significant increase - my 9835 got much louder with the stock speakers than my kenwood mp922 did.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree with Golovko...just a couple watts jump makes a major difference in sound quality. My old head was a Clarion with 22 watts/channel, and my Panasonic has 25 or 26...can't remember off the top of my head, but three or four watts makes a world of difference.

JR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts