Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This follows a thread where I decided I have a “blown” head gasket.

Ive worked for the better part of 2 days and just this mornIng got finished torquing the last head down.

I am a bit worried but really mystified as the head gaskets looked fine and were actually Feldsoar (or something) brand which are better replacements than the cheap Chinese ones I put on.

Then I just realized something shocking: the previous worker had left off the intake gaskets—- NEARLY ALL OF THEM. The only gaskets I found were 2 exhaust gaskets, 1 exhaust ring, 2 head gaskets, the two curved pieces you have to put silicone on and the two large gaskets that sit between the head and lower manifold. THATS IT.

I didn’t even notice it when I disassembled until I started looking at this huge pile of big and little gaskets little circle ones from the new kit..weird larger double circle ones….round single ones. I don’t Have any previous gasket system to follow. This person left off I guess two dozen gaskets if you count all the small ones.

So does anyone have diagrams that show where these many big and little gaskets go? I looked online but didn’t find anything too detailed. Actually a diagram for the upper would be helpful too and I have no idea how many of those they left off.

thank you in advance.

PS I’m now wondering if the head gaskets were OK. I was getting some radiator fluid in the exhaust (a bit steamy but not bad just steady) and I bought a Snap-On tool that tested the coolant tank for presence of exhaust gas and I got the color ”green” which indicates a small leak. Yet it was weird that it ran so well, no misfires. I’m wondering if the lack of almost all gaskets was the cause!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
This follows a thread where I decided I have a “blown” head gasket.

Ive worked for the better part of 2 days and just this mornIng got finished torquing the last head down.

I am a bit worried but really mystified as the head gaskets looked fine and were actually Feldsoar (or something) brand which are better replacements than the cheap Chinese ones I put on.

Then I just realized something shocking: the previous worker had left off the intake gaskets—- NEARLY ALL OF THEM. The only gaskets I found were 2 exhaust gaskets, 1 exhaust ring, 2 head gaskets, the two curved pieces you have to put silicone on and the two large gaskets that sit between the head and lower manifold. THATS IT.

I didn’t even notice it when I disassembled until I started looking at this huge pile of big and little gaskets little circle ones from the new kit..weird larger double circle ones….round single ones. I don’t Have any previous gasket system to follow. This person left off I guess two dozen gaskets if you count all the small ones.

So does anyone have diagrams that show where these many big and little gaskets go? I looked online but didn’t find anything too detailed. Actually a diagram for the upper would be helpful too and I have no idea how many of those they left off.

thank you in advance.

PS I’m now wondering if the head gaskets were OK. I was getting some radiator fluid in the exhaust (a bit steamy but not bad just steady) and I bought a Snap-On tool that tested the coolant tank for presence of exhaust gas and I got the color ”green” which indicates a small leak. Yet it was weird that it ran so well, no misfires. I’m wondering if the lack of almost all gaskets was the cause!!!
Here is a picture of a complete intake gasket set for your 01 with the Vulcan eng.
The two gaskets that are identical go between the LOWER intake manifold and the cylinder heads.
The set of 6 blue rings go between the UPPER Plenum and the LOWER intake manifold.
I don't understand where you are at with this project-It sounds like you have re-assembled everything and only AFTER assembly realized that these gaskets aren't in place.Not trying to be a smart ass. I hope what I have provided helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much. I have the heads back on and torqued down but haven’t bolted the intake(s) back on yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts