Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a while ago about my check engine code (http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/164012-check-engine-light-codes-98-taurus.html). Basically, I was given a recommendation to replace my Synchronizer and Sensor all at once as I had just replaced the sensor twice and both sent me the same code back afterwards.
While looking through past receipts, I found something that kind of has me a little skeptical. I had the first sensor replaced by a family friend last summer then professionally done again around August 15th. When I looked at my other receipts, I found that when I had my Rear Struts replaced, they also bought and installed a Cam Synchronizer as well around December 10th. To my knowledge, they did not install a sensor with it as it was not showing up on the bill.

Do you think it could still be my synchronizer that is going bad? I looked on RockAuto and am planning on purchasing the Synchronizer by Cardone listed for $63.79. In the picture it is shown with a sensor on top of it so I'm assuming it comes with it.

Should I continue with the purchase as planned and have it replaced? Or could it be something else?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I think you have a Vulcan engine?
In my Explorer it was the alternator. Was putting out 13.1V (probably with lots of electrical "garbage"). I did replaced it with a reman one - 14.3V and no code.

PS: Don't trust other syncronizer but Ford! The "made in China" ones are crappy and dangerous for they keep the oil pressure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to use the recommendation of other members and buy the Cardone. I heard bad things on here about the one from Autozone I think it was Wells or Motorcraft

·
Registered
697 Posts
I suggest you read the sticky on the Dorman synchro - lots of discussion on other aftermarket products.

The Motorcraft is the 'gold standard' as far as synchros go, although the Cardone sounds like the same part with the Ford markings removed.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
A Cardone reman is a Ford unit, some even still have FORD on the casting. Cardone new? No, they're imported....

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
A Cardone reman is a Ford unit, some even still have FORD on the casting. Cardone new? No, they're imported....
Well, even on reman one - the casting is Ford, but the new seals and new shaft pin are... ???
Even the helicoidal gear doesn't look like original (my original Ford had nitriding hardening on it).

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Well, even on reman one - the casting is Ford, but the new seals and new shaft pin are... ???
Good question, my guess is Made In America OEM supplier. I've never had a problem with one after installing it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just as a follow up, the Synchronizer took care of the check engine code and about 400 miles later, is running smoother than before. My mechanic thought that maybe my sensor and synchronizer I had on before were not the same brand and had some sort of error. Either way its fixed now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts