Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Taurus with the pushrod Vulcan. I am getting the "chirping" noise which indicates a worn camshaft synchronizer. I plan on ordering the Motorcraft part as well as the Dorman part (for the alignment tool). My question is how does that tool actually get the synchronizer aligned. I have seen in previous posts a diagram showing the alignment of the arrow on the top and then sweeping it 38 degrees once the teeth are meshed. I do not however understand how you measure that 38 degrees or if the tool only lets you turn it that far when you get to the correct point. I really would like this explained to me like I am 3 as I am confused by this step. I do have automotive repair and restoration experience, but this is baffling me for some reason, as the other posts indicate that this is a realatively straight forward repair. The mechanic in town is quoting $350 for the job with parts. Thanks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The 38 degree instruction isn't necessary. If you go for the tool - what you will do is pop the sensor off the top of the synchronizer, then put the engine at top dead center.

As long as the old synchronizer is installed correctly, the vane on the top of the syncronizer will align with the notch, and you'll be able to slip the alignment tool on the old one (just to see how it works).

Then, take the old syncro out, put the tool on the new syncro (lube the new syncro before you install it), as long as you have the arrow pointing towards the driver side of the car, when the gears mesh, the syncro will turn counter clockwise - the tool will keep the relationship of the body and the inner shaft lined up, - remember the motor is at TDC, so the relationship of the body of the syncro to the inner shaft and motor will remain the same.

Doesn't matter that the arrow points any certain amount of degrees or not, only matters that when you bolt down the syncro and remove the tool that there's enough slack to plug the wire back in to the sensor when you put it back on.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...need-help-aligning-my-cam-sensor-synchro.html

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/160034-cam-synchro-screw-up.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One other question? Is the correct alignment tool Ford part number 303-589? Some parts sites state that this one is for the 2003's and other state that it only goes to 2002. I found the tool online for $27, so I may go that way instead of having a part lying around I do not need. Thanks for the great response too. I really appreciate the way it was explained.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sorry, I don't know what the ford part number is - I bought dorman p/n 689-900 through Amazon, contains all three. If you look at my responses in the other posts, it's the only one that looks like that.

the one tool you need is listed for:
04-99 mustang 3.0
06-04 freestar 3.9 & 4.2
03-99 windstar 3.8
01-99 explorer 5.0
06-98 taurus / sable 3.0 12v
06-98 ranger 3.0
99 windstar 3.0
98 windstar 3.0 w/2 pin sensor
97-94ranger 2.3
2000 explorer mountaineer 4.0
99 explorer 4.0 w/ 2 pin sensor
2000 ranger 4.0
99 ranger 4.0 w/ 2 pin sensor

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great advice. I have the Dorman 689-900 on it's way from Amazon. It is an awesome price for all 3 tools, which is good because I have many friends and family members with Taurus'. I also have the Motorcraft synchronizer coming from RockAuto. I checked my actual camshaft position sensor and it appears to be good so I'm not going to change that. If it is bad I can easily pick that up at the auto parts store. I will let toy know how everything goes after this weekend. I honk I will post some photos of the way I did it too to help others. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED

I have a related question. How do I set the engine at TDC? Search didn't work because TDC is too short, and TOP DEAD CENTER didn't lead me to a how-to. Thanks.

EDIT: 2005 Vulcan 2 valves pushrod engine

EDIT: When I looked from underneath while changing engine oil, I found a wheel with teeth and remembered reading "missing tooth" in another thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED

I have a related question. How do I set the engine at TDC? Search didn't work because TDC is too short, and TOP DEAD CENTER didn't lead me to a how-to. Thanks.

EDIT: 2005 Vulcan 2 valves pushrod engine

EDIT: When I looked from underneath while changing engine oil, I found a wheel with teeth and remembered reading "missing tooth" in another thread. Thanks.
Glad you found an answer - just as long as you know that anything you use on the crank to get to TDC could leave you off by 180 degrees since the crank rotates twice for each revolution of the camshaft.

edit: Just saw your response to the other thread - glad to hear you got it straightened out.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Actually, I didn't know the balancer tooth method can give 180 deg off. Good to know.

In my case, the CMP was only 10 degrees off, and the balancer tooth method worked out ok.

By the way, how do I request a sticky? Who do I write to?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it all together and it is running great and no squeaks. I was unable to get the reference marks to line up exactly as the old one with the new one, but the general placement is the same. Getting #1 to TDC was the biggest pain with the install as he timing marks were horrible to read. I used my compression gauge and cranked the motor and then when I got a reading on the gauge jump i stopped cranking and then moved it to TDC and checked alignment of the synchronizer and put the alignment tool on it and yanked it. Thanks to everyone for their help and input. I would also highly recommend buying that alignment tool kit as it made the install a no guess repair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts