Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it's just a car so I guess having it out of commision isn't an emergency but tomorrow is my wife and son's birthday and they want to be home for it. I just did the head gaskets and I was very sketchy on how to time the cam synchronizer. I read that a voltage should be measureable between 12V and 0V referenced to ground when the syncro is in the right spot but on my car I didn't have any voltage at the sensor. So I couldn't use that.

Here's what I did:
-Set the TDC to Zero compression stroke.
-Adjusted the Syncro lobe to around 35-40 counter clockwise to the engine centerline.
-Started the car

It started right up. But the weird thing is that I loosened the syncro and rotated it all over the place with the engine running and no change in sound or missing etc. etc. Eventually I put it back to teh measurement above (35-40 counter clockwise of the engine center line).

But I have no idea if it's right.

Also, does the computer control the timing or can I change it with the rotation of the synchronizer? Seems like if I rotate it I could advance or retard timing but since there's a computer involved I am not sure how that works. Also what is the purpose of the CRANK sensor?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
The syncro has nothing to do with controlling ignition timing. It does 2 things, somewhat interrelated: 1) controls injector timing in the sequential fuel injection, 2) determines if the engine is at TDC on exhaust or comporession stroke to help do the above.

When you measured voltages, what exactly did you measure? 3 wires go into sensor. One is ground, one is power, and the third is signal out to the PCM.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hey, that's a pic from an Explorer! I know that because I took it :)
But... probably is identical on a Vulcan engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts