Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 taurus, 3.0 vulcan ohv. If the cam shaft sensor isn't functioning will it always throw a code? I was working in that area replacing coolant sensors/housing and after completing that task the car won't start. I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump primes ok, and have pressure in the lines. Battery is good. I don't have any codes and it is not chirping....but can't seem to find any other issue as to why it wont start (engined cranks just fine). I did have to pound on the coolant sensor housing area a bit to get it out since it is pressed on.. so am thinking I may have damaged that sensor...but dont want to dig thru all the wiring if it would be giving me an engine code if in fact that was an issue (and assuming a faulty sensor would not allow car to start -- whch I may be wrong about). Any insight appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
closure on this....it turned out to be a loose crankcase position sensor. It did not throw any codes...and prohbited the car from starting. It was a bit surprising since it was not close to the area where I had been working under the hood.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
^ Yeah, theyll crank and crank but not start with the crank sensor (ckp) being loose. Should start and run with a faulty cam sensor (cmp), albeit like crap. I too have had a ckp not throw a code, but usually a cmp will.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts