Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Taurus that I am having to replace the whole assembly on. The tab looks like a lump of metal in the top of the syncro so there is no way to "put back it back in the way it came out". I have the line up cap that came with the assy. I need someone to walk me through the process of installing it so that I use the correct reference points & get it right. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
You are correct. You cannot put a new one in exactly same. The synchronizer consists of 2 parts (INNER and OUTER). What's critical is the angle between the two. You may have to rotate OUTER a little (about 10 degrees? 15?), which is fine, while the INNER is meshed with internal gear and stays fixed.

As you said, the electrical connector needs to face the driver side so that you can plug in the sensor.

If you haven't pulled out the old one yet, set Cylinder 1 at TDC first. Then you will find the the metal tab of the INNER directly facing the cutout of the OUTER. No guessing or eyeballing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I have # 1 @ tdc, what is my is my reference for the arrow on the line up cap?
Is there a tdc mark on crank?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just an FYI - the Camshaft Synchronizer on a 97 is not the same as it is on 98 thru 06 (07?)

97 DA2094
98+ DA2089

In either case, if you're using the tool, and the engine is at TDC, essentially put the syncro in with the arrow on the tool pointing directly to the drivers side, as it goes in and the gear meshes with the cam gear, the whole assembly with the tool will rotate counter clockwise. Tighten the bolt down before removing the tool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts