Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Question:

When the two small bolts are removed from the synchronizer does the unit pop up?? How do you get it out of the socket? Looks like a fairly easy task. Dealer quoted $650 to do this job (replace Cam position synchronizer & sensor). Way too much for this job.

Recommend coating the gear in oil?
SUP

·
Registered
405 Posts
two small bolts attach the sensor to the syncro - unscrew them you can pop the sensor off , the syncro is held down by a bolt (10mm head?) and washer threaded into the block.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quick Question:

When the two small bolts are removed from the synchronizer does the unit pop up?? How do you get it out of the socket? Looks like a fairly easy task. Dealer quoted $650 to do this job (replace Cam position synchronizer & sensor). Way too much for this job.

Recommend coating the gear in oil?
SUP
Yep coat in oil. Make marks as well, so you get it back exactly the way it came out. Job is indeed relatively easy. GL

·
Registered
619 Posts
Cam assembly lube is better for the gear.

Make marks, take pictures. Get the vane and sensor connector back in the EXACT same place.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cam Synchronizer / Sensor changed on 2007 Taurus SEL. Took 25 minutes! My brother tackled it with me. Dealer wanted 3 hours of labor. Extremely simple task.

SUP

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sheila,

I was tinkering on not being quite sure until you gave me the "You can do it." I'm glad you did. Saved me a lot of money.

Thanks,

SUP

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
hi

I took digital photo of the part with the cap off so I'd be able to
put it back the way it should be.

the sensor just sits on a drive assembly similar to a distributor
but without the top section.

when you pull the entire assembly up, it will twist due to the
gear on the shaft that mates to the camshaft gear.

lube it up real good, replaced the hard dry o rings and good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts