Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a sable 2000 3.0L OHV 130K miles with the dreaded chirping noise coming from the rear of the engine. I read a lot about replacing this part without using the special tool. I plan on marking the orientation of the sycnro to the engine and the sensor orientation to the sycnro prior to pulling the old unit. That should put everything back in the same orientation. The question I have is that good enough or do I need to time it somehow to the crank or cam like old distributors need? I didn't see anything much in the Chilton or Haynes books on the removal other than using a special tool. Any Ideas? Does computer compensate after the unit is put in the same orientation relatively as the old unit?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi all. I have a sable 2000 3.0L OHV 130K miles with the dreaded chirping noise coming from the rear of the engine. I read a lot about replacing this part without using the special tool. I plan on marking the orientation of the sycnro to the engine and the sensor orientation to the sycnro prior to pulling the old unit. That should put everything back in the same orientation. The question I have is that good enough or do I need to time it somehow to the crank or cam like old distributors need? I didn't see anything much in the Chilton or Haynes books on the removal other than using a special tool. Any Ideas? Does computer compensate after the unit is put in the same orientation relatively as the old unit?
[/b]

If it's put in the same way as the old unit, the computer (and engine for that matter) won't notice a difference.

Make all the necessary markings (as found in the How To's) and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

If it's put in the same way as the old unit, the computer (and engine for that matter) won't notice a difference.

Make all the necessary markings (as found in the How To's) and you will be good to go.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Just curious.. what part did you get and from where? Did you get it from an online source (Rockauto) or the dealership or some other part store?

You should not be getting the Dorman part, FYI, but just curious which one you got. Please post back with the part and the number!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts