Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have been having problems with my OHV Taurus with lurching in first between 8-13K and third 18-28K, moving from a stop, and intial start up. I had my body shop mechanic throw the computer on it again and it threw the Cam Position Sensor. Well my car is a push rod engine so I thought maybe it means Crank Position sensor. Well that didn't need to be replaced. But Hey I got a New one anyway!

Here is the problem though, both of us don't know how to replace my new part (cam position sensor that goes in under the throttle body :D yeah I'm gonna listen to the comp this time) sense it's an old-distributor-less unit (I hope that sentence makes sense.) Instead there is a distributor "pack" above cylinder bank 2.

What I want to know is with the eec4, is there any need to "degree"? The part is a long cylinder that tapers done a bit in segments with a brass ring. Since this is computer assisted, do I just plop it back down in and reconnect it?

Thanks, hope you all can help,
David

·
Registered
405 Posts
What year car are you talking about?

If it's the cam position sensor on a 96 or newer, it's essentially a sensor with a magnetic pickup on top of the syncronizer assembly - held in with 2 screws - no adjustment is available.

If you're talking about the whole syncro assembly http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=385810&imageurl=http%3A//www.fordparts.com/PartImage.ashx%3Ffilename%3DF8DZ12A362AA-FRO%26dw%3D0%26dh%3D0%26type%3DJPG - then start here: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...1-alert-dorman-cam-synchronizer-assembly.html

Then start looking through the maintenance section, there's probably a post on every page. But the new syncro needs to go in exactly the same way the old one came out.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Since you say EEC IV, I am guessing you are talking about 95 or earlier? EEC IV is TFI ignition, and does not have a cam or crank position sensor as such like 96+ do. Crank position and cam position info, along with RPM info, all come from the PIP (Hall effect) sensor inside the distributor. Cam position is relayed to PCM by "signature PIP", where one of the slots on the vane is a different size than the other 5 slots. If the distributor was removed to replace the PIP and / or the TFI (ignition module on side of dist) the base ignition timing must be set with a timing light. Be sure the SPOUT connector is pulled when setting base timing to 10 deg BTDC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect. That is the information that I needed.

NY that is the piece I am talking about. Thanks for the post.

Jeff thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say. I will tell Matt that the eecIV pertains to
Pre 96. He wanted me to make sure before I ended up messing things up further

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can turn the snychronizer assembly, but it must be aligned using a special tool or careful eyeballing with predetermined marks. If it is off, it will throw a code for being out of sync with the crankshaft position sensor. When the pcm detects its out of sync, the engine resorts to bank firing the injectors instead of sequentially firing them and it will worsen fuel mileage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts