Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

calling tranny techs, 1996 taurus strange issue

3K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  issakar 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Been browsing for a bit and this is my first post.

So i was on my way to a shop today to pickup a part for my other vehicle when i stopped for gas. I put 11.00 in the tank, fired over the engine, hit (D) and continued on my business. after reaching approximately 40MPH the speedo suddenly dropped to zero and shot back up to 40 and down and up and everywhere in between. then the car itself started almost searching for the right gear to be in, the engine rpms surged and dropped surged and dropped. i stopped the vehicle, turned it off, pulled the dipstick to check the fluid, all looked good, all smelled good. i started the vehicle back up, and limped it home. everytime i reached about 40mph the issue with the speedo and everything started happening again, i finally limped it home and here i am.

No, I am by no means a mechanic, i know only a small amount but am working to learn more. I know some basics about transmissions and im sort of leaning towards an electrical type issue. The problem seems too sudden to be physical to me, but again I dont work on these things. There was no other indication of failure prior to this problem.

I have an OBDII scanner and i plan to check for codes. the MIL did not illuminate, however I know not all codes set it off.

I really appreciate any information provided, i would like to find out whats going on with this guy.

THanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Egiroux,

Hi there. I agree with your statement on the VSS. that was what i started thinking. From what i have been reading the VSS is actually on the bottom of the unit, however i am not 100% sure. I will post back some time tomorrow or the next day when i get time to work on it.

Thanks for the response!

#5 ·
This is all I have for you. The tranny is out right now, so I took a picture of the top. I haven't removed the VSS yet. Your sensor may be driven off the old speedometer housing (it changed at some point). By the way, this is an AX4S tranny. Not sure what you have.

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks for the photo. So looking at that we are looking down at the trans unit like we are standing behind it correct?

does that VSS pull to the right for removal? it seems to be just on the edge of the photo and alittle hard to see, lol.

My trans is the AX4N so it is slightly different im sure.

Thanks for the info again I appreciate it :) I hope to complete this work tomorrow morning :-o

#7 ·
The bottom of the photo would be the rear of the car. The VSS is under the metal cover in the middle with the wire going to it. The cover at the right is the old speedometer gear. It is not used anymore. I believe there is a bolt holding it in. Once removed, the sensor pulls out. Not 100% sure though. Good Luck!

#8 ·
alright. i want to confirm i have found the correct item. i have photo.

I snapped a couple shots with my phone. the one above i actually took upside down so i flipped it and mirrored the image. i think this is what i want. it was covered by a rectangular heat shield. does this seem correct?

Thanks!

#11 ·
Alright, just an update.

I finally got the retaining bolt out. this was a PITA. Now I need to remove the actual speed sensor itself. this thing does not seem like it want to move at all. is the part the bolt goes thru a retaining clip? it looks like its a retaining clip around the VSS that then bolts to the case of the transaxle. if thats the case then what maybe i am experiencing is the clip itself is seized to the case of the trans via rust/age/etc? I feel like this part should pull out towards the rear of the vehicle and up. That is different from other images i have seen but perhaps those are different trans models.

anyway the moment everyone is waiting for, the pics.

VSS with wiring removed and retaining bolt out. you can see it has penetrating oil on it and around it.

here you cans see what looks like a retaining clip wrapped around the bottom of the VSS.

top view of the VSS.

a closer view if VSS with retaining bolt removed. It looks like this pulls up and back from the trans-axle

I added brief descriptions to the photos on photobucket too. Now i just need to figure out how to get this darn thing out!

I'm hoping the hardest part when it comes to reassembly time is getting the bolt back in. i guess we will see if i ever get it out.

Thanks!

#12 ·
alright well i am at a point where i am a little stumped. The retaining clip is loose from the case of the trans axle, however i still cannot get the darn sensor to move. my biggest concern/fear is the sensor top breaking and leaving the bottom inside the case. I am leaving more penetrating oil on it for the moment while i ponder my next attack. anyone have any recommendations?

#14 ·
Resolved

The resolution to this issue was a long pry bar, hammer, and a lift. I had to run her down to a shop right quick for access to such tools. I paid the shop $75 for their labor and it didn't take them much time at all. I would have continued working on this myself but i needed my car back on the road since the fuel pump in my truck died :-O

Fixed, runnin, ran me about $100 in the end with the shop labor.

FYI, the tech at the shop was able to go thru the passenger side wheel well. He DID NOT need to remove the wheel well cover to gain access needed to the VSS. he used the pry bar and a hammer to get under the lip of the aluminum VSS body, and moved it around enough with the bar to pry up and grip with channel locks. then twist, pull, pop, it was out, replaced and ready to roll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.