Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched and searched and cannot find anything for an 04 taurus. I have a couple of ideas of how I could bastardize the stock box and keep the factory maf mount/location. Has anybody gotten a cai to work without a check engine light?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhh, I dont know about that...It has ducting from the drivers side fender well into the stock air box and then through a paper filter and squeezed down into a 2" tube where the MAF takes up about half of the inner diameter and then goes to a ribbed rubber hose to a teeny throttle body...It might get cooler air at the ducting but once it hits that humongo stock air box I bet its not so cool anymore. I actually just experimented a little bit with it last night and needless to say...there IS room for improvement.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
As stated above, your car has CAI, and while in can be "improved", those improvements will just add more noise, not more power.

Messing with the size / shape of the ducting near the MAF can lead to problems, as the MAF may not correctly read air flow after the mods.

·
Registered
671 Posts
As stated above, your car has CAI, and while in can be "improved", those improvements will just add more noise, not more power.

Messing with the size / shape of the ducting near the MAF can lead to problems, as the MAF may not correctly read air flow after the mods.
+1

An unmodified taurus will see NO benefit. Other than the MAF & TB, it's the same intake that supports 220hp on an SHO, and extremely similar to the intake that supports 235hp on G3 SHOs.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Uhh, I dont know about that...It has ducting from the drivers side fender well into the stock air box and then through a paper filter and squeezed down into a 2" tube where the MAF takes up about half of the inner diameter and then goes to a ribbed rubber hose to a teeny throttle body...It might get cooler air at the ducting but once it hits that humongo stock air box I bet its not so cool anymore. I actually just experimented a little bit with it last night and needless to say...there IS room for improvement.
So yes you do have a cold air intake that draws cold air from the fender.

A lot of this also depends on which engine you have. If you have the Vulvan the engine does not need as much air and you actualy need a small MAF as result.

When we sold larger MAF's that were drop in units the Vulcans would idle funny with anything larger then 65mm.

What I run on the SHO:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'm just not understanding why the general thought process is that a less restrictive air filter mounted closer to the outside air is viewed as "noise production" in this group of people. Its physics folks...not rocket science..lol A denser air charge means more air is in the charge...right? right. Now add a cooler, denser air charge, MAF tells comp theres more g/s of air in flowpath, intake air temp tells comp air is cooler, computer adds more fuel and spark due to more available air at a cooler temp...whammooo...more horsepower is made...and yes it makes more noise. the problem with a little roar from under the hood at WOT is what exactly?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The thing is that you are drawing cold air and the filter is not that restrictive. So you do have your CAI. Swap in a K&n if you want to reduce the resistance.

There are better places to go for power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O I know where to go to get power out of a motor, its just that these cars in particular are one of the most boring platforms to play with. Im going to keep experimenting and see what I can come up with, so far Ive already noticed an increase in gas mileage and the car pulls like a champ up an on ramp, much better than it did before.

·
Registered
671 Posts
We know the math, but as we've said, you have a CAI from the factory. The only power you'll see by stepping up is when that intake becomes too restrictive for your power levels, which is beyond SHO.

I've dropped almost $2.5k into my vulcan and I'm only seeing ~145whp. My last trip to the dyno machine, I was confident I'd be sitting smugly around 160whp, or 'tec levels, just to have my transmission slip like crazy. 180 lbs-ft of torque to the wheels at 3k rpm isn't bad, but it was also the peak.

What I'm trying to say is, there are certain limitations with this platform that you'll come to understand. If you want to mod it, you'll find a lot of good resources here, but you'll need to listen to the people who've done it before and take their advice seriously. Otherwise you'll lose the support here and waste a lot of money in the process.

Back to the point, CAI is great for a nice sporty sound, but it won't make you the power you think it will.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
What everyone is forgetting here is that in the gen 4.5s 04+ the intake setup sucks! The maf is 2" and is part of the top of the airbox so its very difficult to do anything, i just cut the bottom of my stock airbox off but thats no gain in power, if you swap a duratec tb, AND the intake pipe, and get a 3" spectre maf adapter off ebay ($36 bucks comes with a rectangle adapter that WILL WORK) you could make a CAI will somw gains.

Only problem is that im pretty sure swapping the maf pipe will lead to idle issues so you will need a tune, i just did this style intake on my girls 2.2 cobalt with that maf pipe and it workes great so igotta order another one of those spectre maf adapaters again and ill try it out because i can have a tune written for it.

but honestly im not in a super rush beause i know the gains wont be that great anyway. only difference is the gen 4.5 maf is a bottle neck of sorts. going from 2" to 3" in the intake would be good for flow, problem is there is 3 vaccum lines i believe... ill make something custom next week and do a write up on it if i get anything worth talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
What everyone is forgetting here is that in the gen 4.5s 04+ the intake setup sucks! The maf is 2" and is part of the top of the airbox so its very difficult to do anything, i just cut the bottom of my stock airbox off but thats no gain in power, if you swap a duratec tb, AND the intake pipe, and get a 3" spectre maf adapter off ebay ($36 bucks comes with a rectangle adapter that WILL WORK) you could make a CAI will somw gains.

Only problem is that im pretty sure swapping the maf pipe will lead to idle issues so you will need a tune, i just did this style intake on my girls 2.2 cobalt with that maf pipe and it workes great so igotta order another one of those spectre maf adapaters again and ill try it out because i can have a tune written for it.

but honestly im not in a super rush beause i know the gains wont be that great anyway. only difference is the gen 4.5 maf is a bottle neck of sorts. going from 2" to 3" in the intake would be good for flow, problem is there is 3 vaccum lines i believe... ill make something custom next week and do a write up on it if i get anything worth talking about.
What you are forgetting is that even if it does suck, it still flows more the the Vulcan does. The engine itself is the weak link, mods to the intake only work if they increase flow through the engine, which just isn't gonna happen unless you port the heads and possabley go with a better cam or larger valves or something. The stock intake flows over double what the engine does.

My opinion of the Vulcan, is that without serious modifications to the head, it just doesn't produce any real power. You can mod the intake and exhaust all you want, you will get very minimal gains at best.

·
Registered
671 Posts
What you are forgetting is that even if it does suck, it still flows more the the Vulcan does. The engine itself is the weak link, mods to the intake only work if they increase flow through the engine, which just isn't gonna happen unless you port the heads and possabley go with a better cam or larger valves or something. The stock intake flows over double what the engine does.

My opinion of the Vulcan, is that without serious modifications to the head, it just doesn't produce any real power. You can mod the intake and exhaust all you want, you will get very minimal gains at best.
Amen.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Amen x2!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts