Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angryfire: i just custom fabbed a cai for my 05 but for some reason it wont stay running? it fires up and dies like it doesnt have a mafs plugged in. iv tried moving the sensor closer to the front and back of the intake with no luck. please help asap.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
:angryfire: i just custom fabbed a cai for my 05 but for some reason it wont stay running? it fires up and dies like it doesnt have a mafs plugged in. iv tried moving the sensor closer to the front and back of the intake with no luck. please help asap.
[/b]
Keep trying to crank it and hit the pedal occasionally. It will crank up.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I thought the MAF had to be a specific distance from the tb. Wouldnt moving it up and down screw up the readings? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I thought the MAF had to be a specific distance from the tb. Wouldnt moving it up and down screw up the readings? :dunno:
[/b]
Thats the prime reason why i left my accordion on ;)

Another is to allow for engine movement.

But FWIW My CAI Vulcan does this on occasion. I just know how to crank it because of my 86 Olds Delta 88 383 Mag. You had to pump at JUST the right time and she would spring to life... Who needs a car immobilizer when you got good old performance and carburation on your side?! LOL :rofl2:

I turn the key.. she starts sputtering, i tap the pedal, she roars to life.

I think she's running lean. :blush:

She hasn't done it after the Fuel system cleaning though :thumb:

------------------------------------------------------
==Mediarocker's Crankup Cocktail of Horror!!!==

-1 Can of Seafoam in the oil
-1 Can of Seafoam in the engine via the Vacuum system
-Make sure when your just about done to kill the engine by choking it in seafoam.

Add to a half tank of gas
-1 Bottle of STP Fuel System Cleaner
-1 Bottle of STP Fuel Injector Cleaner
-1 Bottle of STP Fuel Treatment
-1 full can of Seafoam

Let it sit for 20 minutes then crank the vehicle.

Run that till just about empty and your MPG should go up and your problem should disappear. :)

(not responsible for any damages incurred.)

She will be a pain in the ass to crank, but patience is key.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts

-Make sure when your just about done to kill the engine by choking it in seafoam.

-1 full can of Seafoam

[/b]
I recalled someone, I believe Qwerz, saying that the Sea Foam should be in the oil for no more than 10-15 minutes, basically using it prior to an oil change. Do you change out the oil? Or do you wait unil your next schedule oil change?

3 bottles of STP Fuel cleaning/treament stuff...isnt that a bit overkill? When you add all of those, do you fill up the gas or run it until its empty?

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
[/b]
Make sure you didn't unplug any vacuum lines.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
check to see if the mass air has anything on the sensor wire.. in my old taurus a small piece of leaf got sucked up and covered to mass air sensor little wire and would kill the engine everytime.. that and air leaks after the mass air will mess it up too.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Did you transplant the MAF into a larger diameter tube? If you did you really screwed up it's reading and need to either get the car tuned or change the diameter of your intake tube.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

-1 full can of Seafoam

[/b]
I recalled someone, I believe Qwerz, saying that the Sea Foam should be in the oil for no more than 10-15 minutes, basically using it prior to an oil change. Do you change out the oil? Or do you wait unil your next schedule oil change?

3 bottles of STP Fuel cleaning/treament stuff...isnt that a bit overkill? When you add all of those, do you fill up the gas or run it until its empty?
[/b][/quote]

Yes, you shouldn't leave Seafoam in the oil for an extended period. It thins out the oil to water-like and can ruin the engine. Change the oil immediately after adding it and running the engine.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Seafoam in the oil in a older car is called an engine rebuild! I would never put that in oil on any car. If one changes the oil on time there's no need for that. Engine flushes are a very bad thing.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Describe how you attached your MAF to your new intake. the 04+ cars have the maf tube integrated into the airbox, and there is currently no adapter available to transplant the MAF sensor into. Unless you consider the adapter for the rangers, but that's a whole other can of worms with different tube sizing and tuning and such.

If you have a leak between the maf and tb, it will kill the car. If the sensor is damaged, it will cause the car to run like ass or kill the car. Check for leaks.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
the 04+ cars have the maf tube integrated into the airbox, and there is currently no adapter available to transplant the MAF sensor into. Unless you consider the adapter for the rangers, but that's a whole other can of worms with different tube sizing and tuning and such.
[/b]

i dunno if anyone has tried this but i had done this to my buddies 06 ranger. its iust over a year that he's been running it with no problems.. only thing is instead of the mounting/heat shield like in the ranger you'd get one of those mass air adaptor plates that any 04-below car would use for a cai setup. heck you might even be able to cut the flange off and just straight clamp a hose and tube right to the end of the mass air if theres enough length after the mass air housing area to clamp to.. in that write up i had to make and flange to bolt up to.. but in the taurus you really wouldn't need to.. dunno if you guys get what i mean..

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/sho...ad.php?t=220167

just my .02 on that problem
Ryan

·
Super Moderator
8,213 Posts
Seafoam in the oil in a older car is called an engine rebuild! I would never put that in oil on any car. If one changes the oil on time there's no need for that. Engine flushes are a very bad thing.
[/b]
+1 on that!!!!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

-1 full can of Seafoam

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I Run it till empty, but thats a once in a blue moon thing. Whenever I notice my engine is running a little low. (but then again, i'm a performance enthusiast. ;))

As for the oil, I change it after about 5 miles. I'll make sure to stop doing that. :blink:

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Make sure you don't have the TPS and IAC unplugged.

These cars don't run ... well ... at all ... without the TPS, IAC and MAF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts