Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2007 Taurus SEL. The only manual I could find was the Haynes one for 1996-2005 models. People on this forum said most stuff in manual would apply to my 2007.

Anyhow, manual said that cabin air filter was option starting in 1997. So my first question:

Is there any easy way to ascertain if my taurus is equipped with this option? I don't want to tear stuff out, if not necessary.

Second question is, what are "pushpins" Haynes manual say to rotate and remove "pushpins" from "cowl vent screen" before removing clips. I could not find any pins. I read 93 Sable's (member name) excellent post on replacing the filter and he made no mention of "pushpins." Maybe not on that many models.

Thanks for any info/help.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If I recall, on my '00 the cabin air filter is behind the plastic cowl below the windshield. I think you have to raise the hood then remove a half dozen or so metal spring clips to free the section of cowling that covers it. I don't know if the '07 is slightly different but should be the same basic concept.

·
Registered
23,813 Posts
Cowl is blk. plastic thingy down by wiper arms. Dunno about an 07, but on prior yrs., there are blk. plastic pushpins with phillips heads you simply pry out with a trim tool or slotted screwdriver. Next are the metal clips @ the edge of the cowling you pop off with screwdriver or needle-nose pliers. Cowl should come off now (only need to pull pass. half for cabin filter). Iirc, underneath the cowl there are some small cap screws that need to come out and youre good to go. I would think 07 should be similar. If some of the pushpins break while removing (common), theyre available in the Help! section @ most auto parts stores. Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't know about '07, but on my '01 you have to raise the hood, remove four metal clips on the passenger side with flat blade screwdriver from the plastic cover. Remove plastic cover by lifting it up and sliding toward drivers side. Underneath you will see if your car has cabin air filter underneath the cowl or not. If you have it then you will need to remove two 8mm screws and remove cowl. Then lift cabin filter element by the front and slide it towards you. It is good idea to vacuum leafs and debris around that area. Installation is reverse of the removal. Hope it helps and applicable to your Bull.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cowl is blk. plastic thingy down by wiper arms. Dunno about an 07, but on prior yrs., there are blk. plastic pushpins with phillips heads you simply pry out with a trim tool or slotted screwdriver. Next are the metal clips @ the edge of the cowling you pop off with screwdriver or needle-nose pliers. Cowl should come off now (only need to pull pass. half for cabin filter). Iirc, underneath the cowl there are some small cap screws that need to come out and youre good to go. I would think 07 should be similar. If some of the pushpins break while removing (common), theyre available in the Help! section @ most auto parts stores. Good luck.

Sheila,

I definitely have the metal clips. However, I don't see anything that is plastic with philips head. What exactly is a "pushpin"? Is it some kind of pin you push out? Does it have threads? How different from a screw?

Again I don't think I have "pushpin", but if I knew what to look for I could be more certain. Thanks for response and any further info you can provide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know about '07, but on my '01 you have to raise the hood, remove four metal clips on the passenger side with flat blade screwdriver from the plastic cover. Remove plastic cover by lifting it up and sliding toward drivers side. Underneath you will see if your car has cabin air filter underneath the cowl or not. If you have it then you will need to remove two 8mm screws and remove cowl. Then lift cabin filter element by the front and slide it towards you. It is good idea to vacuum leafs and debris around that area. Installation is reverse of the removal. Hope it helps and applicable to your Bull.
O1SE,

Thanks for response. This sounds more like what I have. Did your vehicle have "pushpins" ? This is what is giving me concern. Something I have to remove but can't locate. Again if in fact I have pushpins. Thanks.

·
Registered
23,813 Posts
If you had them, youd see them (4-5) on the surface area of the cowl. Those pushpins resemble a phillips head black plastic screw with threads about an inch long that simply push into white plastic retainers underneath the cowling. To remove, you pry out.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Removing the plastic cowl pieces is really easy. If you can't get it off, look and see what fasteners are still in place. Pushpins are just plastic, push-in fasteners, used on G3's, but I'm not sure about a G4 or a G5. In this case they look like a little plastic Philips head screw. I have also found removing the entire cowl to change the rear bank spark plugs on a Duratec is the easiest way to go. You have to pull off the wiper arms, but still much easier and faster than removing the intake manifold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.