Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this car for several years. I moved out of the area and could not take the car with me. Once I came back, the had some issues but I was able to fire her up. For two years the car was not started, no maintenance, and some wiring and several parts were modified. Long story short, her last smog test failed.

1989 Taurus 3.0L about 136,000 miles. New oil, plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and wires. Here are the numbers:

IDLE: 980 RPM, CO2% 14.0 Meas, O2% 0.10 Meas, HC-PPM Max: 120, Meas: 201, CO% Max: 1.00 Meas: 1.88 ---FAIL

2500 RMP: 2581 RPM, CO2% 13.7 Meas, O2% 2.5 Meas, HC-PPM Max: 140, Meas: 19, CO% Max: 1.00 Meas: 0.00 ----PASS

So smog check failed due to idle high HC and CO.

She runs fine. When she start, no check engine ligth, then I drive from city to highway and shortly after 20-30 minutes, check engine light lights up. Diagnostics code pulled are I believe 14. but I am not 100% sure, can it be a 41? From the manual and some research code 14 is a PIP fault and/or TFI module malfunction. But a 41 is mixture too lean. Im not 100% becuase I am using the jumper method were I locate the Signal Return port and short it to the Self Test Input, then watch my "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT". So what I been able to collect is the following:

Key On, Engine Off:
1-1 pause 1-1 long pause 1 -4-1-4-1

I dont proceed with the engine on test.

Any suggestion would be great, also please, I am reaching out for help becuase I am trying to save some money by doing some work my self, I am not gifted but I can handle some work under the hood. thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
A bad IAC would have no effect on the 2500 rpm test.

You car needs a tune up, including new O2 sensors. The loss of PIP signal indicates the pickup coil inside the distributor is shot. You can replace the sensor by itself, but I would recommend replacing the entire distributor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many O2 sensors are there?

I think I'll clean up the IAC valve again. I pulled it off about 3 months ago becuase the car wouldnt start. It would crank just fine but never start. Its seemed that the IAC valve was just full of carbon build up, so I think I'll take the whole upper intake apart and clean up the carbon build up.

But I'll also change the O2 sensor. I could only find one, can someone confirm the number of O2 sensors and their locations. I found one just before the catalytic converter. Its seems I cant get to it unless I bring out the catalytic converter. Its hard cuz them bolts are on there tight and there isnt much room.

Wouldnt the bad valve also cause high number on the 2500 RPM test? High enough to fail also?

thanks.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
When I failed the Cali smog...I had clogged cats. I replaced it with a high flow y-pipe...it gotten much better...but I still failed. I changed 02 and it passed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you've done a tune-up and changed the oil, then I'd get a can of Seafoam. Will clean up some of the carbon buildup and gunk in the combustion chamber.

Install new O2 sensor and check your catalytic converter (when it's cool!). Reach up and rap on the converter, if you hear it rattling around inside, it's bad and replace.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll take a trip to my local auto parts store, I only have 2 to choice from, its a small small town. I hope its in stock. Removing the sensor is not that easy. It looks like I have to bring down the cat just to get to the O2 sensor. This will be a weekend project. thanks. for the advice. I'll report shortly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CA Smog Passed

Great news.. the car passed smog, clean as a whistle. Wow, not bad for sitting on the side lines for 4 years and now getting fired up after only a few minor repairs.

the biggest is the changing the O2 sensor only becuase I had a hard time getting to the sensor. An honestly not necessary, the engine runs smooth before the O2 change and still after the swap. but in the long run, save gas, save money and less pollution.

Thanks for all the advice.

I removed the upper intake, cleaned out as much of carbon build up as I can, also cleaned out the IAC valve, and changed oil. Well I changed the oil only because I noticed oil leakage on the exaust so I changed the oil pan gasket.

Thanks again for all your advice. Here are the final numbers:

IDLE: 993 RPM, CO2% 12.0 Meas, O2% 0.10 Meas, HC-PPM Max: 120, Meas: 15, CO% Max: 1.00 Meas: 0.01 ---PASS

2500 RMP: 2518 RPM, CO2% 12.6 Meas, O2% 2.2 Meas, HC-PPM Max: 140, Meas: 16, CO% Max: 1.00 Meas: 0.01 ----PASS

:rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts