Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My entire right side speakers are significantly muted compared to the left, i've redone wiring to all speakers except front driver side, so that is not the issue. I believe it's come down to the RCU.
I was planning on finding the wires that send audio input to the RCU and then hook that up to the speakers, if at all possible.
Or possibly just buy a cheap amp and wire that in.
This is on a Gen3 with the Normal RCU (Tape Deck, CD Changer Optional and uninstalled)

Anything you can contribute is appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE (sxsw945 @ Apr 22 2009, 06:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719536
My entire right side speakers are significantly muted compared to the left, i've redone wiring to all speakers except front driver side, so that is not the issue. I believe it's come down to the RCU.
I was planning on finding the wires that send audio input to the RCU and then hook that up to the speakers, if at all possible.
Or possibly just buy a cheap amp and wire that in.
This is on a Gen3 with the Normal RCU (Tape Deck, CD Changer Optional and uninstalled)

Anything you can contribute is appreciated.[/b]

You're probably going to be better off just replacing the RCU. The option for head unit directly to speakers won't work because there is zero amplification and I'm not sure about h/u to aftermarket amp but, I suspect that you won't be able to produce a suitable input signal for an aftermarket amp from whatever signal the h/u is sending to the RCU.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
There are no audio input wires to the RCU. It is all the working components of the radio. The unit in the dash is just a remote control. You can't bypass it without being an electrical engineer.

I have a stock non-mach RCU you can have for shipping.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Any aftermarket head unit, with the g3 installation kit, will bypass the stock rcu, and send power to your speakers from the new head unit. The wiring is...fun, but ends up connecting the head unit's speaker wires to the plug that used to power the speakers, from the rcu. It's plug and play, for the most part.

if you're not interested in an aftermarket head unit, then do what the others have said, and replace your RCU. The mach audio unit (premium sound for higher model tauruses/sables) is a nice upgrade for many.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any aftermarket head unit, with the g3 installation kit, will bypass the stock rcu, and send power to your speakers from the new head unit. The wiring is...fun, but ends up connecting the head unit's speaker wires to the plug that used to power the speakers, from the rcu. It's plug and play, for the most part.

if you're not interested in an aftermarket head unit, then do what the others have said, and replace your RCU. The mach audio unit (premium sound for higher model tauruses/sables) is a nice upgrade for many.
This whole time I thought even with an aftermarket head unit i was going to have to deal with the stock amp so the kits actually bypass it manually without having to mess with the wiring at the RCU? I have a 02' taurus and i've been reading a lot of different post non stop about it. I just don't understand how that works are the speaker wires still able to hook up from the front where the head unit was?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts