Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to bypass the A/C compressor on a 2000 24 valve 3.0 L DOHC engine? I've read that it's been done on a Vulcan with a 822k6 belt from AutoZone. Will the same belt work here?

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Iirc, no. If belt pulley is not seized, you can pull the ac relay, fuse and diode underhood in the power distribution box like i did. See owners manual or possibly under the cover for locations.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yeah, I would get it fixed, in the winter it is still useful, it helps keep the windows from fogging. In the short term if your pulley is going out or something is seized, I guess bypassing it is the way to go, but if you just need to prevent it from turning on, just pull the fuse or disconnect the connector at the compressor.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Someone does make a by-pass pulley for the tec, but iirc, the compressor must be removed.
I know Dorman makes one for the Vulcan...didn't know the 'tec had one. Dang, news to me!

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Nick, i read that somewhere, cant remember if was on here or elsewhere, or the name of the mfgr. I just dismissed it when i saw the compressor had to come out anyway. Only positive would be if you were terribly low on funds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im guessing $$$ and not needing it now (winter).
Yeap that time of year again, when the little man in the red suit needs the money, worse than I need an A/C.
Anyways,:huh: guess that would be a negitive on bypassing the A/C.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Unless the belt pulley is free-wheeling. Mine only locked up when the ac was engaged. Solved any chance of that by pulling ac fuse, relay and diode underhood.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nick, i read that somewhere, cant remember if was on here or elsewhere, or the name of the mfgr. I just dismissed it when i saw the compressor had to come out anyway. Only positive would be if you were terribly low on funds.
I can confirm that. I had seen A/C bypass pulley for 2000 TEC at both AutoZone and Napa websites at different times.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Also iirc, you just cant gain clearance with a shorter belt on a tec.
For a 2001 TEC, yes, the above statement is true.

For a 2000 TEC, you actually would have the clearance. The problem is the shorter bypass belt won't provide enough friction for the water pump to run.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Whatever setup the 2000 has should mimick the Gen 3 Duratecs, as they use the same belt and pulley setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts